Cancellation of Meetings Until the End of the Season

Read-only area where club-related and forum-related announcements are posted.
Mike Farley

Cancellation of Meetings Until the End of the Season

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 20 Mar 2020, 18:54

This is a copy of the e-mail sent to all club members on 20 March 2020

Dear Club Member

Following the Prime Minister’s statement on Monday and the government’s updates since that everyone should keep social contact to a minimum to minimise the spread of Covid-19, Croydon Camera Club’s Council has been further considering the implications. It was never really a choice and we have bowed to the inevitable. Following on from the decision to cancel meetings until 22 April, we have cancelled our remaining programme for the rest of the season.

This brings us in line with just about every hobbyist club, photographic or otherwise, in the country which have all taken similar action. It sounds like a cliché but is not. We want our members to remain safe and well during this unprecedented time of uncertainty.

We have made plans to complete this season’s competitions. As previously announced, the judge for the 4th round of the DPI competition will assess our images at home. We hope that the judges for the last round and the Mess Trophy for “DPI of the Year” will agree to do the same. Subject to making such arrangements, the dates will remain as currently scheduled.

The print competitions are less easy. Collecting prints and sending them to judges is a logistical impracticality, so we will combine the last two rounds into a single event early in the new season which is due to start in September. Similarly, we will schedule the “Print of the Year” competition for next season. The annual exhibition as originally scheduled is almost certainly a casualty of present circumstances and we are looking into options to hold an alternative event later in the year.

Council is investigating alternative methods by which members can keep in contact during this challenging and uncertain period. We already have our Forum and Facebook pages which are available for you to use and I encourage you to take advantage of these facilities. We are trying out some other ideas to take the club online and there will be further announcements in due course.

If you have questions, comments or suggestions about what is happening, there is a thread on the Forum where you can post your thoughts. The link is below.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3420

I sign-off as I did in my previous communication. I wish you and your loved ones the best possible health in these difficult times.

Mike Farley
Chairman
Croydon Camera Club
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “Announcements”