Forum Upgrade

Read-only area where club-related and forum-related announcements are posted.
Peter Boughton

Forum Upgrade

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 21 Jun 2015, 00:33

The forum has been migrated to the new hosting service and upgraded to the latest version of the software.

You'll notice it looks a bit different - it wasn't possible to get the same theme for the new version, but I have adapted one to look similar. Hopefully the differences are improvements, but if you do notice anything which is bad/broken/unusable then let me know and I'll take a look.

Some of the new features include:
* Improved image upload - you can now drag an image into the message area to upload it (requires recent browser).
* Individuals can change how many topics and posts display per page - goto User Control Panel > Board Prefs > Display Options.
* When viewing a topic, upto 5 similar topics are linked at the bottom (based on keyword matches).
* There are more options for creating polls (e.g. can hide results until poll has ended, etc.)

Feel free to post any comments or suggestions for further improvements, or ask any questions you might have.
davidb

Re: Forum Upgrade

Postby davidb » Sun 21 Jun 2015, 13:05

Well done Peter. First impressions are that it looks good. Buttons seem to stand out more prominently. (I've noticed it spell checks but doesn't offer suggestions - is this possible?).

The logo is a bit small - can it be made a little larger?

Otherwise an excellent job. 8-) 8-)
Regards

David A Beard.
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 21 Jun 2015, 13:48

Thanks David.

I don't see any options related to spell-checking - it might be your browser doing that?

I'll see what can be done with the logo - it is a bit small, but also wanted to keep the header bar compact, but I'll experiment with it.
(I've realised I still need to tidy up the website and flickr links too.)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:04

Hi Peter

Good work. The updated software is definitely an improvement. The new version came out while I was away for a few days, so I have only just had an opportunity to look around and find out what has changed. One thing that I have noticed is that links no longer open in a new tab or window, which they did previously and is what I prefer. I cannot see this as a user configurable option and I was wondering if it is possible to set it back the way that it used to work?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 14:51

I no longer seem to be receiving e-mail notifications for new posts, despite my preferences being set appropriately. Is this due to the new software aor is there an issue with the mailing service?
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 14:51

I no longer seem to be receiving e-mail notifications for new posts, despite my preferences being set appropriately. Is this due to the new software or is there an issue with the mailing service?
Regards

Mike Farley
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Tue 30 Jun 2015, 23:54

Um, it seems some idiot forgot to update the mail settings. :$

Fixed now.

One thing that I have noticed is that links no longer open in a new tab or window

I assume you're referring to external links within posts, because standard behaviour for links in general is to open in same window.

There is an extension to enable this as a user option, which I'll install tomorrow or Thursday - in the meantime you can always shift-click to open in a new window and ctrl-click (or middle-click the mouse wheel) to open in a new tab.
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 04:13

I also think the upgrade looks & feels good, nicely done.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 01 Jul 2015, 08:21

Peter Boughton wrote:Um, it seems some idiot forgot to update the mail settings. :$

Fixed now.

Thanks, I can confirm I am now receiving notifications via e-mail.

Peter Boughton wrote:
One thing that I have noticed is that links no longer open in a new tab or window

I assume you're referring to external links within posts, because standard behaviour for links in general is to open in same window.

There is an extension to enable this as a user option, which I'll install tomorrow or Thursday - in the meantime you can always shift-click to open in a new window and ctrl-click (or middle-click the mouse wheel) to open in a new tab.

My preference is for links to open in a new tab in the same window, which I find makes it easier to keep track of where I was on the original page, be it a forum discussion or article on a website. If I have a lot of tabs open, sometimes I will deliberately open a link in a new window since this is easier to get back to the original tab when I am ready - I simply close the new window and my starting point is open right underneath it. As you say, it is easy enough to instigate this behaviour manually, except that I sometimes forget and mindlessly click on a link. To have a user option which allows everyone to set their default preference would be great.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 03 Jul 2015, 17:53

I have just seen that a number of sticky posts which are intended to help people use the forum appear to have become unstuck in the upgrade. Is there an easy way to find and restick them?
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “Announcements”