Small commission

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Rose

Small commission

Postby Rose » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 09:03

A friend of mine has asked me to do some photos to use on the website for their mobile auto mechanic business. I'm going to have an initial discussion to determine what sort of images will best represent the business before taking photos. Then provide a selection of images for the web. She wants to know how much I will charge for this... Any ideas ?
Rose
Mike Farley

Re: Small commission

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:53

There has been some discussion of pricing on the forum, although I am not sure that it is entirely relevant in this situation.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=170&p=1661&hilit=price#p1661

Essentially this is a one-off job with the resulting images being used for a single purpose. Work out an hourly rate to cover your time and use of equipment, find out how many images are required and, finally, calculate how long you think it will take to shoot and process them which will allow you to determine the fee. Chances are that this will be higher than your acquaintance is prepared to pay, so it might well come down to the nature of your friendship and how much you want the work.

Other points are to ensure that you retain copyright in case you do want to use the images yourself and that there is an agreement in writing which covers the use to which your friend will put the images in respect of the consideration paid. In other words, you licence them to display the images on the website and in a calendar, for example, but there is an additional fee beyond that. The last bit might be OTT, so once again it is a judgement call, but to be safe I would strongly advise a written agreement to protect both parties' interests.

Incidentally, there is a useful rule for working out how long any project will take.

• Estimate how long you think you will need
  • Double it
  • Add on 20% to take account of things you have not thought of!

Even then, I have known some situations when this still falls well short of the true figure. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:38

A friend of mine had a similar proposition and question. I couldn't really say then either but did suggest he consider -

Time spent beforehand gathering requirements/planning shots
Time spent actually taking photos
Time spent afterwards post-processing

To work out an hourly rate. He came to the conclusion that photographing a workshop of people chatting + 4 or 5 hours PP would mean £250 was a fair price for him to consider, and that was accepted.

What kind of images would you have in mind?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:40

Mike Farley wrote:
  • Double it

The "Double it and add VAT" rule is applicable to a surprising number of things, I use it for project estimations at work all the time :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 13:34

davidc wrote:
Mike Farley wrote:
  • Double it

The "Double it and add VAT" rule is applicable to a surprising number of things, I use it for project estimations at work all the time :)

I always used to be told at work when I jokingly suggested it that estimation should not be done that way, as if most people's more methodical processes were any more accurate. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”