A question regarding the new competition rules

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
PaulW

A question regarding the new competition rules

Postby PaulW » Thu 27 Sep 2012, 08:14

Hi :)

At the last meeting I posed a question, regarding the new competition rules that suggest you can't enter an image into the print comp. and the digital comp. in the same year. My question was, what if I enter the print comp. and score 10 or above, with the judge commenting on how it could be improved. Then I make those improvment, can I then enter it into the next digital comp. or even the next print comp. as a different image? :) :)
toms

Re: A question regarding the new competition rules

Postby toms » Thu 27 Sep 2012, 16:36

Hi, I have the same query as the rules seem to suggest that even a modified/altered image cannot be entered for the second competition. Similarly, if cropped or drastically altered in some way does it not become a different image. :?:
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 27 Sep 2012, 23:01

Paul / Tom

Thanks for posting your questions here, as I am sure that the answer will be of interest to many members.

I have asked the subcommittee which drew up the new rules to consider these points, as well as the situation when two images are taken of the same scene and there was an interval between them such as to make visible differences apparent. One example is a landscape, when elements such as shadows or the angle of the prevailing light alter between shots. Two or more photos taken in quick succession and there are no obvious changes would be considered identical, even though they were produced from different files or negatives.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
PaulW

Postby PaulW » Fri 28 Sep 2012, 07:40

Hi
I have another senario, can you enter the same image converted to monochrome, as this can give you a totally different view on the same image?
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 28 Sep 2012, 16:39

PaulW wrote:Hi
I have another senario, can you enter the same image converted to monochrome, as this can give you a totally different view on the same image?

Paul

This is one of the change categories which I asked the the rules subcommittee to consider as being "substantial". There will be an update here once there is an agreed statement.
Regards

Mike Farley
Rose

Postby Rose » Fri 28 Sep 2012, 21:43

Thanks Mike - clarification will be very welcome as I'm sure we're all considering what images we can enter this coming season.
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 01 Oct 2012, 16:03

I'll need to dig out the rules/guidance again, but I thought I remember reading that the rule was a "significant alteration" based on judge feedback was allowed, but only for the following season's competitions?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Rose

Postby Rose » Mon 01 Oct 2012, 21:26

I guess it's the definition of "substantial" that we're not too sure about.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 02 Oct 2012, 00:30

davidc wrote:I'll need to dig out the rules/guidance again, but I thought I remember reading that the rule was a "significant alteration" based on judge feedback was allowed, but only for the following season's competitions?

Only images that have not received a certificate can be resubmitted in an amended form in a subsequent season. The alterations made do not have to be based on the judge's comments, which would be unworkable since not only the score but also the feedback would have to be recorded at the time of the competition.

A statement in response to all the questions which have been raised is due to be issued on the forum shortly.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 02 Oct 2012, 13:13

Answers to the various questions raised follow. It should be noted that the purpose of the rules is to encourage members to take a variety of images to participate in friendly competition and that entries conform to the spirit in which the regulations have been drawn up. That said, it is accepted that some clarification is necessary to avoid misunderstandings.

• Where an image has scored 10 or more, it cannot be resubmitted in the same format (i.e. print or DPI) in either the current or succeeding seasons regardless of the changes made. It can be entered in the alternative format with or without changes in a subsequent season, subject to not having been previously used in that format.
  • Where an image has scored less than 10, it can be resubmitted on one occasion only in a different form during a subsequent season. The difference between the two images must be readily discernible.
  • Where images are of the same scene or location and have been created from separate negatives or digital captures but there are obvious differences, these will be regarded as separate images.
  • Images can be submitted in the same format as either colour or monochrome, but not in the same season. The definition of monochrome is below.

The above apply to the monthly competitions held over six rounds and not the exhibition or one-off contests where there are different criteria.

If you have any questions as to whether an image will be allowed, you have the option to seek a binding decision from one of the Competition Secretary, Chairman or Vice-Chairman. Depending on which individual is consulted, the others will be advised of the outcome. Both the proposed and all previous versions entered into the relevant competition must be presented so that the assessment can be made equitably. It is recommended that sufficient time is allowed before the competition submission deadline as a response cannot be guaranteed at short notice.

Definition of monochrome:

Monochrome means traditional "Black and White", as well as meaning a single colour, such as Sepia. If there is even a slight hint of an additional colour, the image is not regarded as being monochrome. e.g.: a "Black and White" image with a single traffic light displaying green. This rule is strictly enforced.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”