Photographic Work Experience Required

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Photographic Work Experience Required

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 25 Sep 2012, 09:34

The club has received a request from a mother whose 14 year old daughter is keen on photography and is looking for a two week work experience placement during July 2013 in the photographic industry. Whilst the club is certainly able to help anyone improve their photographic skills, most of us are hobbyists whose professions are or have been elsewhere. I have written to her separately advising that the best places to start enquiring are the various professional organisations and the many galleries in London which display photography and are most likely to be able to advise suitable contacts. If anyone does know of someone who can offer a placement, could you either reply to this thread or send an e-mail to croydoncameraclub@gmail.com.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Photographic Work Experience Required

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 08 Oct 2012, 13:40

UPDATE

One of the purposes of the forum to provide somewhere to which people can refer for answers given previously. In case there is another similar enquiry in the future, I thought that it would be worthwhile adding the text of my e-mail to the girl's mother.

- 0 -

"I have been forwarded your e-mail about seeking a work experience placement for your daughter in the photographic industry next year. As with any camera club, our membership mainly consists of hobbyists whose professions are or were in other industries, so although we can assist anyone with their photography skills, we are not really in a position to advise about career development. Something which I am sure you appreciate.

"There are a number of professional photography organisations which might be able to assist, such as the British Institute of Professional Photography and Association of Photographers. London also has many galleries which display photography and these could also be another source of contacts, or perhaps even be able to offer a placement if your daughter's interests lie in this area.

"Your daughter could also try the Royal Photographic Society, the PAGB or the various regional organisations such as the Surrey Photographic Association or Kent County Photographic Association. Whilst these are mainly geared towards enthusiasts, they could be aware of those working in the industry. The RPS has a Documentary and Visual Journalism group, for example, some members of which I believe are professional photographers.

"I wish your daughter every success in finding a placement and hope that she will continue to enjoy her photography."
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”