Computer problem

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

Computer problem

Postby abennettphotography » Wed 27 Jan 2021, 18:17

Not strictly photography related but thought someone in the Club might have some insight.

I've got a corrupted MS Word .doc (not .docx) file that I can't open on my Mac. It won't open with Preview or Pages. I've also got Libre Office but that won't open it either. Anyone any advice. I have some recovery software but this only recovers the files, not repairs them. I don't want to pay for new software.
Mike Farley

Re: Computer problem

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 27 Jan 2021, 18:49

First hit from Google, although it will not help you unless you or someone you know has access to Word. Note also the section about how corruption can occur which applies whether using Windows or macOS.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 86ac734bc3
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Wed 27 Jan 2021, 22:08

Thanks Mike. I did a google search and couldn't find anything hence posting on the off-chance to the forum. The link is for Windows and Word, neither of which I have. Ho-hum looks like it's lost.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 27 Jan 2021, 22:32

I have Word if you want to give it a try.
Regards

Mike Farley
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Thu 28 Jan 2021, 12:56

Thanks, Mike. That'd be great. But how would it work - I'm on a Mac? And how would I get it?
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 30 Jan 2021, 09:22

abennettphotography wrote:But how would it work - I'm on a Mac? And how would I get it?

Er, you send me the file via e-mail and, if it works, I send the repaired file back? File format is the same regardlesd of OS.
Regards

Mike Farley
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Sat 30 Jan 2021, 14:09

Ah! I see what you were getting at. I've managed to get free access to Word online and the doc is still not showing so I reckon it's lost beyond repair but thanks anyway.
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 01 Feb 2021, 01:09

Do you use Time Machine (a backup system), an Apple app that's free and comes with the operating system. You'd need an external hard disk of at least the size of your internal storage.

If you do use Time Machine you should be able to go back in time to find a version that still works.

If you don't use TM then now would be a good time to start so this doesn't happen again.
Regards

David A Beard.
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Thu 04 Feb 2021, 08:14

Probably more for Mike but you could try to open the .doc in Notepad on your Windows PC (dragging file into Notepad best way). It wouldnt keep any formatting or images within the doc but it may provide you with the bare text. If the doc only contained images then this method is a non-starter.
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Tue 16 Feb 2021, 14:21

Hi David, you talk about time machine, I have been having trouble using it on the only hard drive that has any space but I cannot use it for that, got any ideas I can put information on it?
Wally

Return to “General”