Data recovery using PhotoRec

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

Data recovery using PhotoRec

Postby abennettphotography » Tue 25 Aug 2020, 13:02

As you may know from previous postings, I'm trying to recover data from a failed hard disk attached to my Mac.

All the recovery software I've looked at require large sums of money to buy them. Except PhotoRec and TesDisk https://www.cgsecurity.org/.

I've downloaded them but despite being fairly computer literate the accompanying literature is poorly written and for techies only. I've tried their forum for help but got an unpleasant response from a barely sentient neanderthal.

So, I was wondering if any of more tech minded members had any advice?
Mike Farley

Re: Data recovery using PhotoRec

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 27 Aug 2020, 08:42

Hi Andy

I cannot really help with the software as I have never used it but I have had a quick look at the documentation. What concerns me is that you say you formatted the hard for your Mac, but it is unclear what file format you used. If it was either of the proprietary Apple ones, these do not appear to be supported by Photorec/Testdisk.

You are delving into a fairly technical area of computing which I suspect the complexity of the free software reflects and assumes a reasonable level of knowledge. It is techies writing applications for other techies which applies to a lot of open source software. The benefit of commercial data recovery applications is that typically they provide a user friendly interface which takes care of the more demanding technical aspects. It might be a hard choice, but ultimately you will have to decide how much the lost data is worth to you. The investment could be time in getting up to speed with the technicalities and/or money. The software which Tom used did a free analysis of the disk which at least means you can establish whether it is readable before deciding whether to proceed further.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Jeremy GH

Postby Jeremy GH » Fri 28 Aug 2020, 17:46

Looking at the cgsecurity/Testdisk/Photorec website, I found pointer to 'partner' Disk Drill data recovery for Mac https://www.cleverfiles.com/ - don't know if you've seen it, or if it's of any use.

Haven't used any of these, nor do I use/know Macs, so can't really provide more immediate help. But I might take a look at the documentation to see if it makes sense to me...
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Sat 29 Aug 2020, 12:17

High Andy I am having the same problem as you funny that as we had a problem with our information on the hard drives a few weeks ago.
Anyway I have been in communication with the manufacturers, its a slow process but at last I have someone answering my emails. Cross my fingers I might have some kind of answer.
Which Hard Drive do you have? I have a Porsche Design La Cie 1 terabyte. If its the same I might have a reply in a day or two wish me luck. I have tried buying a new USB cable and plug, they also recommend trying it on another Mac.
Have you tried those things?
Hope you find a solution
Wally
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Mon 31 Aug 2020, 18:18

Thanks Jeremy. Looked at cleverfiles but if it's anything like https://recoverit.wondershare.com/data-recovery-mac.html the free version will only recover 1Gb of data which i next t useless.

Wally - Which manufacturer are you talking to? I tried the Photorec forum but just got abuse after asking simply how do I get it to work!!

Return to “General”