Webcam

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Tina

Webcam

Postby Tina » Mon 25 May 2020, 10:42

Hi All
As you said yesterday most webcams are out of stock.
I've had a look at Canon and using my camera as a webcam. It seems to be for use in the US, not supported here and is Beta, whatever that means.
Does anyone know if this might be a problem before I download it.
Many thanks and keep well everyone.
Tina Nuthall
abennettphotography

Re: Webcam

Postby abennettphotography » Mon 25 May 2020, 11:36

Beta means it's a test version, not the final version so there could be bugs still in it that means it might not work perfectly. Looks like you'll just have to take your chances. I'm sure it'll be fine but you could try searching the web or Canon forums to see what problems, if any, people are experiencing.
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Mon 25 May 2020, 11:40

Tina wrote:Hi All
As you said yesterday most webcams are out of stock.
I've had a look at Canon and using my camera as a webcam. It seems to be for use in the US, not supported here and is Beta, whatever that means.
Does anyone know if this might be a problem before I download it.
Many thanks and keep well everyone.
Tina Nuthall

Hi Tina, Beta means it's still under development but at a stage they feel they can be released for use. Most beta code works fine, but they haven't done extensive testing so if it clashes with some other software on your PC it may stop working or crash etc. That said its worth giving it a try.
They are not proving support to you should you have issues while installing or using their software, support is limited to users in the US.
You will need a micro USB cable to connect your camera to your PC.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 25 May 2020, 13:57

I managed to get a Logitech C920 from Amazon a while back. It took around a month to arrive although it is now out of stock there. Whether it is worth the £65 I paid is moot, although I am pleased with it. Shortly after I placed the order the price went up to £85 and is now quoted at £75, albeit with no delivery date stated. Depending on how much you want to pay, Amazon currently has this webcam in stock:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PAPALOOK-PA452 ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

There are others which are less expensive and available for immediate delivery on Amazon but also do not rate as highly in the user reviews.

If it helps, somewhere I have a webcam which was bought years ago. It is very low spec, possibly 640 x 480, but it should get the job done although I would need to check that it has a builtin microphone. If you are interested, it is yours gratis, provided I can locate the particular vortex into which it has disappeared. All you have to do is pop by my place and I will leave it on the doorstep.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon 25 May 2020, 14:10

Thank you Andrew, Frank and Mike.
Mike if you are able to locate the spare webcam that would be very helpful and welcome.
Let me know if you find it and either Graham or I can pick it up on our way home from the shop one day. We are going in to prepare for our re-opening, which we hope won't be too long now.
Thanks again.
Tina
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 25 May 2020, 15:40

Tina wrote:Mike if you are able to locate the spare webcam that would be very helpful and welcome.

Hi Tina

I am on it and waiting for the vortex to open up. The trick, I find, is not to look and they appear unexpectedly. It does not work for socks, sadly. I will let you know.

Good luck with the shop re-opening. Must have been a tough few weeks.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 25 May 2020, 15:57

Hi Tina

One webcam found and tested. Yours, whenever.
Regards

Mike Farley
Tina

Postby Tina » Mon 25 May 2020, 17:12

Hi Mike
Thank you so much. It is very much appreciated.
I will let you know when I can pick it up. I am assuming you're not going very far any time soon.
Best wishes
Tina
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 25 May 2020, 18:19

Tina wrote:Thank you so much. It is very much appreciated.

You are very welcome. It is good to know that it will be getting some use.

Tina wrote:I am assuming you're not going very far any time soon.

Mechanical problems with the private jet mean that I cannot fly out to the villa in the Med and the roof is leaking at the country estate mansion. It looks as though I am goiung to be here for a while. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
abennettphotography

Postby abennettphotography » Thu 28 May 2020, 16:12

Canon webcam software now available for Mac https://www.diyphotography.net/canons-f ... for-macos/

Return to “General”