Happy Anniversary, Croydon Camera Club

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Happy Anniversary, Croydon Camera Club

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 08:21

It was 130 years ago today, on 10 March 1890, that the first meeting of Croydon Camera Club was held. Hector Maclean, a well known photographer of the time, was the main instigator for the founding of the club. Other prominent members in those early days were I D Wratten and Kenneth Mees. The latter was responsible for many of the technical developments in photography during the first half of the 20th Century. The Mees Crater on the Moon is named after him in recognition of his contribution to astrophotography.

The archives on our club website have an extensive record of our history. The link below is to a short summary, but there is a lot more to read for those who wish to find out more.

http://croydoncameraclub.org.uk/ClubArc ... istory.htm
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Re: Happy Anniversary, Croydon Camera Club

Postby Peter Boughton » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 14:34

A cake is traditional in these situations...

ccc-logo-cake.jpg
ccc-logo-cake.jpg (193.01 KiB) Viewed 2093 times

:)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 08:25

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

130 candles, I trust. :lol:

An excellent use for an image editing application. Which was not Photoshop, I presume.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 16:04

Mike Farley wrote:An excellent use for an image editing application. Which was not Photoshop, I presume.

Certainly not - whilst Adobe has started shoehorning some 3D functionality into Photoshop, it would be far too much effort to achieve with that; I use a dedicated 3D graphics app called Cinema 4D, (though the same thing could also be achieved with Blender, which is what I'd recommend to anyone wanting to get into 3D).

Placing all the candles was as easy as creating a radial cloner object with three candles inside, specifying radius and start/stop angles that didn't overlap the text, increasing the number of cloned items until they almost touched, and then applying a slight random jiggle+rotation so placement doesn't look unnatural and its a little less obvious that it's the same flame repeated over and over.

Return to “General”