Topaz Labs Changes Licensing Terms

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Topaz Labs Changes Licensing Terms

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 08:47

Topaz Labs has come in for some love around here recently and a number of people are using its software. One of its attractions was the free for life software updates which, while welcome, I did wonder whether it was sustainable. It turns out that it was not and from August 2020 there will be a charge for updates. There will be optional payments of $50 per annum for a single product or $100 for two or more. I have Sharpen AI and the update cost is pretty close to what I paid for a full licence. That does not seem like good value, quite apart from the thorny issue of Topaz Labs changing the terms and conditions after purchase. Expect the company to receive a lot of (well deserved) flak over the coming days. I was not tempted by the company's other products, which look even less appealing now. I can understand the need to sustain cash flow and have some sympathy with the position the company finds itself in, but those update costs do seem to be on the high side.

https://petapixel.com/2020/02/14/topaz- ... s-outrage/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Bett

Re: Topaz Labs Changes Licensing Terms

Postby Bett » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 16:21

I probably wont update then unless its crucial :P
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 16:28

Bett wrote:I probably wont update then unless its crucial :P

Same here, naturally. That said, there have only been a couple of updates since I purchased Sharpen AI and one of those was to fix a bug introduced with the previous release. It is worthwhile making a note of the purchase date and checking for updates just before the expiry for the first year of free updates, especially if the software has not been used for a while.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Bett

Postby Bett » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 17:27

Good idea thanks Mike will do

Return to “General”