Equipment for cutting card to mount images Safely

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Rose

Re: Equipment for cutting card to mount images Safely

Postby Rose » Fri 06 Mar 2020, 08:38

I spent some time trying to decide between the Lydith and the Pentacon but went for the latter in the end. I use it for creative shots of flowers, often with an extension tube, and it was the closer focussing distance of the Pentacon that sold it to me. I've read details of the proposed new Meyer Goerlitz version and won't be shelling out that kind of money !

The first Helios I bought was indeed attached to a Zenit camera... and after borrowing mine to play with for a few days, a friend has just bought herself one that was also attached to a camera, for the princely sum of £21 :D

Including the Lensbaby Velvet 85mm and Samsung 14mm, I now have more manual focus lenses than AF ones... but that's still not to say I am an expert at manual focussing!
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 07 Mar 2020, 08:40

Rose wrote:Including the Lensbaby Velvet 85mm and Samsung 14mm, I now have more manual focus lenses than AF ones... but that's still not to say I am an expert at manual focussing!

I have looked at the Lensbaby Velvet in the past. Presumably you have the 56 mm version? For the moment, I am relying on a Lomography Daguerreotype lens for soft focus effects, but it does not focus quite as close as the Lensbaby. There is a macro adapter which I could try. Wide open at f/2.9 or stopped down to f/4, it produces a soft, low contrast image which I can play around with in post processing. Once I get to f/5.6, the rendering loses a lot of its appeal. At the moment, I am mainly using it on my infrared camera which offers further possibilities.

Manual focussing on a modern camera can be tricky. Most DSLRs lack the necessary focussing aids although live view helps. Mirrorless cameras are more convenient and have been largely responsible for the resurgence of interest in vintage lenses over the past few years which has seen prices increase. Not so long ago, people were paying £5 for those Helios lenses if they were not being given away.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Sat 07 Mar 2020, 18:17

Mike Farley wrote:
Rose wrote:Including the Lensbaby Velvet 85mm ...

I have looked at the Lensbaby Velvet in the past. Presumably you have the 56 mm version?

No... I have the 85mm ;) :D At the largest apertures it has a soft glow with subtle sharpness in the centre which is good for portraits. At /16 it's tack sharp and I took some great architectural shots with it last year.
Rose

Return to “General”