Do you need a VPN?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
abennettphotography

Do you need a VPN?

Postby abennettphotography » Tue 29 Oct 2019, 19:07

Ok, not strictly photo related but useful, I think, nevertheless - https://youtu.be/WVDQEoe6ZWY
Mike Farley

Re: Do you need a VPN?

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 15:12

I have not looked at the video, so am unaware of the specific arguments being put forth. Clearly VPNs have their uses when confidentiality is essential, e.g. business use, but I do wonder whether personal Internet usage really needs that level of security. Unless someone has something they wish to hide. Maybe to avoid being sent to prison? There is also the small matter that using encryption can of itself draw attention to the user. Assuming an absence of illegal activity, you need a reasonably high level of paranoia to invest in setting up such a link.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 20:38

Mike Farley wrote:I have not looked at the video...

You should start by doing that.

It's an educational video by Tom Scott about VPN commercials - perhaps useful for any club members who see misleading adverts on YouTube and falsely believe VPNs to be a necessary security precaution.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 30 Oct 2019, 22:14

Peter Boughton wrote:
Mike Farley wrote:I have not looked at the video...

You should start by doing that.

It's an educational video by Tom Scott about VPN commercials - perhaps useful for any club members who see misleading adverts on YouTube and falsely believe VPNs to be a necessary security precaution.

Without seeing the video I came to the same conclusion that VPNs are unnecessary for the majority. However, I do accept that there are those who seek to exploit others' doubts and uncertainties. Particularly when it comes to anything to do with computers.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”