Another Adobe Security Breach

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Another Adobe Security Breach

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 07:55

DPReview reports that Adobe left some details for nearly 7.5 million Creative Cloud customers exposed for an unspecified period of time. As one of those who was affected by the breach in October 2013, this is particularly disappointing. At that time, I was informed that Adobe had failed to implement the industry standard protection for payment details. To which my response is essentially unprintable. Moreover, Adobe promised assistance to ensure that my financial status was not compromised by its failing. Needless to say, the company failed to deliver on that commitment. As it had taken a lengthy phone call, most of which I spent on hold, to establish that I was one of the affected customers, I never followed it up.

Whether my details were similarly affected this time is unclear. Adobe does not appear to have made any statements about this latest failing in its security.

My problem is this. I use Lightroom for the bulk of my image processing and have no wish to switch to another application as that would require changes to my well established workflow. Yet every so often Adobe screws something up. Sometimes it fails to check software updates properly before release. At one time it was particularly poor in that regard, although it has been better more recently. Notwithstanding, there was an incident a year ago which occurred just as I thought the company had become more trustworthy.

It is unrealistic to expect that any company will perform flawlessly all the time and there might be occasional glitches. However, these problems seem to occur with Adobe more frequently than most which suggests that it fails to pay proper regard to its processes. Which really is not good enough for a multi-billion dollar company.

Here is the link to the story on DPReview: https://www.dpreview.com/news/582531109 ... loud-users
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Another Adobe Security Breach

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 28 Oct 2019, 08:18

PetaPixel has a bit more information about the story, including a link to a brief statement from Adobe which attempts to downplay the issue. Adobe was informed of the breach on 19 October and issued the statement six days later on 25 October. While no financial information appears to have exposed on this occasion, there is still cause for concern that it happened at all. And why the delay before Adobe made its announcement, which extended the unknown period during which Adobe's customers were unknowingly at risk?

Link to the PetaPixel story: https://petapixel.com/2019/10/26/adobe- ... he-public/

Link to Adobe's statement: https://theblog.adobe.com/security-update/
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”