World Photography Day

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Iggy

World Photography Day

Postby Iggy » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 09:33

Today is World Photography Day!
https://www.worldphotographyday.com/world-photography-day-photos.html
Not sure yet what I will do photographically today!
Iggy

Re: World Photography Day

Postby Iggy » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 17:12

Apart from updating my Shot of the Week http://forums.croydoncameraclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3137,
I sorted out some images and sent them for printing for the coming CCC Competitions in September 2019.
Now using SIM that has superseded ProAm which went out of business.
Sent images at 2 pm today and will definitely have them back tomorrow. Cost less than £1 each for 12x9 inch prints that includes postage.
https://www.simlab.co.uk/professional-photo-printing-services
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 17:56

I have been meaning to photograph this bloom for a while to see how it looks when I apply my infrared technique. I present "The Wrong Sunflower".

The Wrong Sunflower.jpg
The Wrong Sunflower
The Wrong Sunflower.jpg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 19:21

Hello Mike,
Thank you for posting your IR sunflower that forced me into our garden just now.
Still a little bit of setting sun but all the butterflies and huge hover flies on the buddleia bushes have gone.
Spotted a 1 cm spider on a single strand of silk just starting to build its web, possibly.
Decided to give it a go with my trusty Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 (24-400 mm fixed lens).
I was surprised by the result taken at f/4, 1/100 sec, ISO-640, @ 66 mm
Luckily the wind had dropped.
On closer examination, I am just wondering if the spider is feasting on a tiny fly as there appears to be a wing visible!!
Attachments
Spider on a thread P1600465-2C.jpg
Spider on a thread P1600465-2C.jpg (68.81 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 19:38

Iggy wrote:On closer examination, I am just wondering if the spider is feasting on a tiny fly as there appears to be a wing visible!!

I think I can see it. More troubling for me is that the spider seems to be hanging upside down from its thread.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 19:56

The spider is head up on its thread. Larger part is the abdomen with two false eyes!
I managed to get just two shots off before the spider scrambled up to its leafy cover.
Just went to check - spider still behind the leaf but has built a really skinny web on each side of the original thread.

Does anyone else wants to share an image that they have shot today?
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 23:12

The thread is at the bottom, so the whole image appears to be upside down. Or do you have gravity defying spiders in your garden? ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Mon 19 Aug 2019, 23:56

Hi Mike,
I see the reason for your question.
The thread actually ran from the grass on the bottom to some leaves on a bush on top.
When building a web, spiders always connect each strand of the main web framework to fixed points.
In this case, the thread at the bottom was thicker and easier to see, while that above was finer and almost impossible to see.
However, it was strong enough to carry the spider's weight as I saw it run up.
I will check tomorrow morning to see if my spider has spun a full web and if I can get another image with the spider on its web.
Might spray some water on the web to help visualise it better if I can.
Good night,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 20 Aug 2019, 09:32

Looking at the image closely indicates that the detail on the spider is indistinct and there is a fair amount of noise. Both suggest that you needed a substantial crop to achieve the shot and would explain why the thread above the spider is not visible. Since you seem to use the FZ1000 quite frequently for this type of work, you might find that an inexpensive close-up lens will help you get better results. If you already have a filter on the lens, removing it will help avoid vignetting and improve quality by reducing the number of elemsnts through which the light passes.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue 20 Aug 2019, 13:04

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Spider image was shot hand held at 66mm which is probably around 200mm equivalent.

The spider did build a bigger web overnight but that is even more delicate & difficult to see because of the grassy background.
Spider is perched on the leafy branch above.

Plenty of butterflies in the garden today. A Red Admiral butterfly even dive bombed me a couple of times as I stepped into its territory!

Iggy
Last edited by Iggy on Sun 25 Aug 2019, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”