"Old" Cameras

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

"Old" Cameras

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 15 Aug 2019, 08:45

Amateur Photographer has recently been running a series of articles about older digital cameras, usually dating from around 7 or 8 years ago. which now sell used for a fraction of their original cost. Newer cameras might have more features but those old timers are still capable of turning in good results. Yes, they might have fewer megapixels, but 10 MP is more than enough for producing an A3 print. DPI, of course, is far less demanding.

That got me thinking. What are the oldest cameras which people still use on a regular basis? To get the ball rolling, I still have my Canon 7D which was introduced in 2009 and which I purchased in 2010. It is still my go to camera when I want to take action shots as its continuous AF is more reliable than the more modern Fuji models which I normally use*. At the time I bought it, I had the option of a Canon 5D Mk II but decided against it. I had read an article in Amateur Photographer which said there was very little difference in image quality between the two. The 7D had a more modern design, better AF and was less expensive. I have never regretted not going for the full frame option. And 18 MP is not too shabby either. If the 5D Mk III had been available, it might have been a more difficult decision, though**.

The other camera dating from around the same period is a Canon 450D which I had converted to infrared. It predates the 7D being launched in 2008, although I bought it in 2011 as "Grade B" stock from Jacobs (a company which is now a distant memory) at Focus On Imaging, the precursor to was is now The Photography Show. The sensor has 12 MP, so I have no issues printing to A3. I used the camera for my print panel in this year's exhibition.

What is your oldest camera in regular use? Bonus points for anything which uses film.

* I was talking about that recently to a pro sponsored by Fuji who shoots motorsport. He was astonished when he realised that the 7D dates back 10 years. Used carefully, the X-H1 is usable for action but the success rate does not match what I get from the 7D.

** I had a history of Canon introducing newer gear which better met my requirements just after I made purchasing decisions. Usually I chose another manufacturer and eventually stopped buying Canon altogether.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: "Old" Cameras

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 25 Sep 2019, 11:01

The current issue of Amateur Photographer has an article about the original Canon 7D, the latest in its series featuring older cameras. For a 10 year old design, it is holding up remarkably well and is still capable of producing excellent results.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”