Replacement lens caps

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Peter Boughton

Replacement lens caps

Postby Peter Boughton » Wed 17 Jul 2019, 22:26

So apparently in between putting my camera in my bag and taking it out again 5 minutes later, my lens cap went AWOL. At the time I thought it'd just dropped off in the bag, but it appears to have done a houdini.

Exact replacements are available via various sources for £15-20, but Wex/Calumet do their own brand lens caps and only charge £5 (+£3 delivery).

Just want to check whether anyone has used these and can confirm that they're of sufficient build quality and will protect the lens, or should I seek out an official replacement?
Mike Farley

Re: Replacement lens caps

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 17 Jul 2019, 23:39

I had a similar experience a while back. The lens cap for the Fuji !8 mm lens is notorious for getting lost as it does not fit securely. In my case, it did its vanishing act when the lens was in my camera bag. Unfortunately, it is a rectangular piece of rubber, so not quite so easy to replace.

A lens cap only a piece of plastic with a couple of sprung flanges to hold it in place and costs pennies to make. If having the manufacturer's name on the front is important, then you have only one option*. Otherwise, Wex is a reputable brand and while I have never bought one of their caps, I am sure they will be fine. Other third party offerings I have bought in the past have been OK. I would be tempted to see what eBay has to offer. Chinese sellers offer keen prices, the only downside being a 2-3 week wait for delivery.

* Two, if you are handy with a paint brush ....
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 18 Jul 2019, 08:34

Out of curiosity, I looked on eBay to see what was on offer. Branded lens caps appear to be relatively inexpensive and it should be possible to better the Wex price by some margin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/52mm-Centre- ... 9603ff7eb2
Regards

Mike Farley
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 15:33

Mine is a 95mm cap, so looks like £4 on ebay for a convenient to use one. There are cheaper ones, but they have small side-pinches which would likely be awkward with the lens hood, and that one still works out at half the total price of the Wex one.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 19 Jul 2019, 18:31

Peter Boughton wrote:Mine is a 95mm cap ......

Wow, that is a monster. It must have taken some losing*. ;)

You could always buy two and save 8p for the next time it happens. You would still have change from the Wex deal. Especially as we will soon be out of the EU** and the lens cap is coming from Germany.

* Probably not. Lens caps are among those items which seem to lead independent lives. Your originl one probably saw a chance of freedom and bolted.

** I am not sure that I really believe that .......
Regards

Mike Farley
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sat 20 Jul 2019, 22:20

My current best fit theory is that I was abducted by alien beings and it got left on their ship, but they realised too late to do anything about it.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 21 Jul 2019, 08:18

A vortex momentarily opened up and it disappeared forever into another dimension. In a time and place that can never be known to mere humans, there is a vast pile of lost lens caps. And odd socks. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 28 Jul 2019, 14:30

Mike Farley wrote:...the lens cap is coming from Germany.

I was hoping I might get lucky - the description currently says "Bischofswerda, Germany / London, United Kingdom", but after finally ordering yesterday I received the dispatch confirmation today, and with an estimate of 10 days I guess it must be coming from Bischofswerda - not the furthest east you can go in Germany, but... well the town is about as close to the Czech border as Croydon is to Central London.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 28 Jul 2019, 14:59

Peter Boughton wrote:...... I received the dispatch confirmation today, and with an estimate of 10 days ......

In my experience, those estimates are normally conservative to take account of any unxepected delay and I would expect you to receive the lens cap far sooner than that.
Regards

Mike Farley
Robin

Postby Robin » Sat 28 Sep 2019, 12:18

Lens caps are always going missing, especially if on location in Cornwall or Devon, I think these areas are the Bermuda triangle of the UK!

I always get replacements from ebay and because they are a fraction of the cost why not consider purchasing a couple/ selection for you equipment,

that way if you loose one the replacement is to hand without having to wait

Return to “General”