New Sigma Camera

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

New Sigma Camera

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 12 Jul 2019, 08:39

Sigma has just launched a new pocket sized full frame interchangeable lens camera which is notable for a few reasons other than its diminutive dimensions.

• Bayer rather than Foveon sensor
  • Electronic shutter
  • Electronic image stabilisation
  • No viewfinder

The conventional sensor will make the camera much more useable in a range of lighting conditions. Not to mention that the camera should be supported by most, if not all, Raw converters. Foveon aficionados will be catered for with a camera that is due next year, apparently. The other features help reduce size. I would also suggest that the use of electronic shutter and image stabilisation are harbingers of what other manufacturers will be doing in future. Removal of mechanical components helps reduce costs.

More information can be found at all the usual places. Here is one:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... ma-fpA.HTM
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: New Sigma Camera

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 13 Jul 2019, 08:00

I went to Cameraworld Live at Brands Hatch yesterday and it was an enjoyable day. I spent most of the time out on the racing circuit where practice was taking place for a motor bike meeting. More of which at some other time. At Cameraworld Live, I stopped off at the Sigma stand, but there was no sign of the new camera. They are expecting the first samples in a few days. The rep also confirmed that the L mount camera with a Foveon sensor will be announced later this year, not that it is a secret as it has already been mentioned by the CEO.

The Foveon sensor yields fantastic image quality but has a number of drawbacks, such as non existent high ISO performance. Another is the lack of a decent Raw converter, the main and almost only one being Sigma's own offering which leaves a lot to be desired. I am being kind. The application is a major hindrance when it comes to processing images. If Sigma is really serious about the Foveon sensor, which appears to be the case as there have been a number of iterations over the years, it needs to address the issue. I was told that a solution will be forthcoming in conjunction with the new camera, although it was not clear if it would be backwards compatible with older cameras.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”