Stating The Obvious?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Stating The Obvious?

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 01 Jul 2019, 08:18

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/276 ... hasselblad

The strapline for this article DPReview (link above) about Hasselblad cameras had me scratching my head.

"We have learnt that we should launch products when they are fully developed"

The quote is from Use Moebus, the company's head of sales in Europe. I could add a rider "especially if selling a top end product". He appears to be describing the original X1D model. I saw one at a show when it was first launched and it was obvious that there were some issues. The camera did not start up instantly and AF was slow. I mentioned both issues to the rep who went into the classic "Problem? What problem?" denial mode. In other words, "flatter" the customer by telling them that they do not know what they are talking about. They are sure to pony up.

Hasselblad is not the only camera manufacturer guilty of a premature launch in recent times. In particular, I am thinking of the Fuji X-Pro1. Innovative, certainly, and sublime image quality to boot. It was a far better camera by the time Fuji had finished updating the firmware, but no amount of tinkering could address hardware defects such as the lack of dioptre adjustment for the viewfinder.

Back to the X1D and Hasselblad now has an updated model, which is much better. Apparently. And oh, they are not selling enough to professionals so they want your money as well. £10k for a body and lens would do nicely. Form an orderly queue.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”