Mindfulness?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Mindfulness?

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 09 Jun 2019, 08:15

If I am interpreting the quotation in the link below, this is the basis for mindfulness which has an application in photography amongst many other things.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.c ... rolfs.html
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Re: Mindfulness?

Postby Peter Boughton » Mon 10 Jun 2019, 17:35

I read the quote as saying "pay attention to your environment", whereas mindfulness seems to be going a step further and having awareness of that attention?

Either way, it's definitely easy to be over-focused, whether shooting landscape/nature/street/sports/whatever - they all benefit from being alert to what one is not pointing the lens at, and whether there's a stronger image being missed.
Mike Farley

Re: Mindfulness?

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 11 Jun 2019, 08:15

Peter Boughton wrote:I read the quote as saying "pay attention to your environment", whereas mindfulness seems to be going a step further and having awareness of that attention?

I did not intend to give the impression that the quote encompasses mindfulness in its entirety, rather it explains the underlying psychology on which it is based.

I have read one or two books which promote the mindfulness type of approach and ended up thinking that I am already doing what they advocate. Good to have it confirmed, though, and the books have been interesting in other ways as well. 8-)
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”