Don McCullin on TV - Looking For England

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Iggy

Re: Don McCullin on TV - Looking For England

Postby Iggy » Wed 24 Apr 2019, 16:00

Re: Don McCullin exhibition
Post by waconquy » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 15:02

WOW, I went to the Don McCullin exhibition yesterday it took a couple of hours to see it all. A lot of people there.
It is not for the squeamish, but really worth while. Horrifying what people do to each other. Talking about the quality of his pictures seem sick
but if they hadn't been any good he would not have been able to do what he did, they were absolutely beautiful.
The last time I saw Don McCullin was at an interview at the V&A, he looked so dark and oppressed with what he had shown.
His pictures were so dark but you could see all the detail in the blacks, great printer. Even his landscapes are almost black.
He mentions that in some of his notes under the pictures.
The programme on television showed him quite relaxed and he deserved to be after his history.
I recommend the show, there were about 8 rooms full of images. If you want to be a street photographer there is nobody better to show you how it's done.
Enjoy
Wally

I enjoyed viewing the Don McCullin Exhibition at Tate Britain.

At the entrance, on the wall, is one of McCullin’s striking statement: “Photography for me is not looking, it’s feeling. If you can’t feel what you’re looking at,
then you’re never going to get others to feel anything when they are looking at your pictures.”

In the 10 rooms that covers some 20 subject areas in black & white photographs, there is a lot to like. Personally, I much prefer McCullin’s work in Britain,
from his earliest iconic photograph ‘The Guvnors in their Sunday Suits’ to his images of life in London’s East End, Bradford, Summertime and more.

McCullin did cover several wars in Africa, Asia and the Middle East providing some graphic images of the wounded and the dead. On the other hand,
his photographs from Northern Ireland and Berlin captured the action and the mood of the people without the gory detail.

I particularly liked McCullin’s dozen images of India, with ‘Saris drying at Sonepur Mela Festival Gandak River’ being my favourite.

I am also drawn to his landscapes even though they are in black & white but could not stop myself from adding a splash of red to the foreground!

McCullin did of course work in colour too, supplying various Sunday papers magazine supplements with features that were illustrated with colour photographs.
These were displayed in a darkened room as a slide show on a large screen. Some of these magazines were also displayed in a large glass cabinet.

Just 10 days to go now if you want to catch McCullin’s Exhibition.
I did not pre-book and it was not too busy.
It took me about 90 mins to go round, after which I re-visited the images that I particularly liked.
Iggy
Attachments
1-Photography should be about FEELING.jpg
1-Photography should be about FEELING.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 799 times
2-Indian Saris Drying at Sonepur Mela Festival 1993.jpg
2-Indian Saris Drying at Sonepur Mela Festival 1993.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 799 times
3-Splash of Red.jpg
3-Splash of Red.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Last edited by Iggy on Wed 24 Apr 2019, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Iggy

Re: Don McCullin on TV - Looking For England

Postby Iggy » Wed 24 Apr 2019, 16:18

McCullin's Colour Images for News paper magazine supplements.
Attachments
4-Working in Colour.jpg
4-Working in Colour.jpg (71.12 KiB) Viewed 796 times

Return to “General”