Photo Challenge 2019

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Laura

Re: Photo Challenge 2019

Postby Laura » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 09:47

Laura wrote:
Mike Farley wrote:1 January. The fun begins.

Happy New Year, everyone.

A belated Happy New Year to You All. I am interested in this too, and I have some retrospective images I could upload - but I am confused (as usual) about this environment.

Can I start my own thread called 2019 52 or however Iggy called his...?

I think Flickr is easier, personally, and would be happy setting up a special group for Croydon Camera Club - but three of us only would be better exposed to other Croydon club members here in the Forum I guess....
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 10:42

Hi Laura,
We are an easy going camera club. You are welcome to set up your own thread in Photo Sharing.
Just call it Shot of the Week 2019 - etc, etc and then we are all on the same page.
You could do it the traditional way as Mike has, with each thread of one image.
I have preferred to do threads containing 6 or 7 weeks' images resulting in 8 threads rather than 52.
That way, its easier for me to follow my journey through the project.
Looking forward to seeing your retrospective 1st image as soon as possible.
2nd image due on Sunday.

On Flickr not many CCC members would see our images and comment.
But feel free to set it up on flickr too for your other followers.

Still time for other CCC members to join too.

Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 12:23

Laura wrote:I am confused (as usual) about this environment.

Hi Laura

As Iggy says, it is whatever suits you best to show your images.

The easiest way to upload an image directly onto the forum is to drag and drop it into the post. Alternatively, use the Attachments tab and click on "Add files" and choose the image you require. The only other aspect of which you need to be aware is that maximum pixel dimensions are 1024 x 768 (height x width) and the file size should be under 256 KB.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 14:46

Hi Mike,
I think both you and I are using a width of 800.
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 14:58

Iggy wrote:I think both you and I are using a width of 800.

Correct. I have a Lightroom preset which limits dimensions to 800 x 768 and the file size to 100 KB. Usually the latter is enough, although occasionally some shots with a lot of detail require a bit more. 1024 x 768 is the maximum, there is nothing to say that it cannot be smaller. I operate on the principle that the dimensions and file size I use are sufficient to show the image but limit its usefulness to anyone who believes its presence on the Internet justifies purloining it.
Regards

Mike Farley
Laura

Postby Laura » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 16:34

Iggy wrote:Hi Laura,
We are an easy going camera club. You are welcome to set up your own thread in Photo Sharing.
Just call it Shot of the Week 2019 - etc, etc and then we are all on the same page.
You could do it the traditional way as Mike has, with each thread of one image.
I have preferred to do threads containing 6 or 7 weeks' images resulting in 8 threads rather than 52.
That way, its easier for me to follow my journey through the project.
Looking forward to seeing your retrospective 1st image as soon as possible.
2nd image due on Sunday.

On Flickr not many CCC members would see our images and comment.
But feel free to set it up on flickr too for your other followers.

Still time for other CCC members to join too.

Iggy

Thank you Iggy, I may prefer to do one thread per calendar month but we shall see. I think this is easier from the desktop, and that is also where my images live which kind of helps :D
Laura

Postby Laura » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 16:37

Mike Farley wrote:
Laura wrote:I am confused (as usual) about this environment.

Hi Laura

As Iggy says, it is whatever suits you best to show your images.

The easiest way to upload an image directly onto the forum is to drag and drop it into the post. Alternatively, use the Attachments tab and click on "Add files" and choose the image you require. The only other aspect of which you need to be aware is that maximum pixel dimensions are 1024 x 768 (height x width) and the file size should be under 256 KB.

Hi Mike and thank you for explaining (AGAIN, I know) how to do it. For me it is not so much “how to” when I say I find this environment tricky. It is more the discipline to get into it and check the threads. Will have to try a little bit harder....

So what happens if I upload a bigger image, will it be resized or rejected? I tend to upload full jpegs to Flickr so that is another step for me.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 16:54

Laura wrote:So what happens if I upload a bigger image, will it be resized or rejected?

Rejected.

However, you might be able to link to an image of the correct size on Flickr. Even if an image is hosted elsewhere, the limits still apply. Flickr URLs are not entirely straightforward, unfortunately. There is an explanation here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21#p59
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 17:41

Hi Laura,
In Photo Sharing you need to click on NEW TOPIC at the top to start your own new thread.
Give it a name eg "Shot of the Week 2019 - Laura - January" and you are away.

Get your image resized before you do the above.

I resize my images In PhotoShop by clicking on Image and then Image size, then Width 800 and then save on low setting.
Load correct size image as Mike has described.

Hope that helps.
Iggy
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 23:18

Mike Farley wrote:However, you might be able to link to an image of the correct size on Flickr. Even if an image is hosted elsewhere, the limits still apply.

To confirm what Mike says here, you can link using [url]flickr.com/etc[/url] to any size image, but embedding images with [img]flickr.com/etc[/img] is where the width+height restriction comes into play.

There is a CCC group on Flickr - if anyone wants to post photos to it let me know your Flickr username and I'll send an invite.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/croydoncameraclub/

Return to “General”