Photo Challenge 2019

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Photo Challenge 2019

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 15 Dec 2018, 19:30

I have decided to do a Photo 52 during 2019. In other words, I plan to publish an image every week throughout 2019. My primary motivation is to get out and and take photos but without the all consuming commitment of a 365 project. I will be posting here, on my blog, Flickr and 365project.org. With any luck, I will end up with a few decent shots but do not expect a masterpiece every time. The week runs from 00:00 on Monday to 23:59 on Sunday. In order to ensure that I have the full seven days for the first week, I will include anything I might shoot on 31 December in my initial selection.

If anyone cares to join me, I would welcome the company.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Photo Challenge 2019

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 10:17

Mike Farley wrote:The week runs from 00:00 on Monday to 23:59 on Sunday. In order to ensure that I have the full seven days for the first week, I will include anything I might shoot on 31 December in my initial selection.

I am doing this project in conjunction with members at my other club and as this is the first ime I have done it, I have discovered that their rules are not quite as I thought. The week starts on a Thursday which is when the club meets, with images having to be posted on Flickr by midnight of the following Sunday. The disadvantage is that the first "week" of the year is just two days, but the considerable upside is that it does allow time for reflection and processing before deciding on which shot to publish. So far, fifteen people at the other club have signed up. There are daily and monthly challenges going on as well, but the weekly one looks to be the most popular.
Regards

Mike Farley
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 13:11

Mike wrote: I have decided to do a Photo 52 during 2019.

If anyone cares to join me, I would welcome the company.

Hello Mike,
Thank you for the kind but challenging invitation to do a Photo 52 that I will take up, even though I am still severely time compromised this year too. It should help me get out and about with my camera.
I will publish my image weekly just on the CCC Forum and perhaps on my Flickr account that I only use occasionally. I will have to explore how to set up a Flickr page for my 52 week challenge.

I have just had a look at 2019 Calendar and apart from being logical, it would also be very helpful if I could add an image on the Sunday of each week that makes the first image due by 6 January 2019. Hopefully, this should not impinge on when you need to post your weekly image in several locations.

Are you expecting CCC members to post their images within this CCC General Photo 2019 Challenge or on a CCC Photo Sharing Section?

Look forward to your suggestions.

Kind regards,
Iggy

PS: Now that I have accepted your Photo 52 Challenge, perhaps other CCC members might folllow.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 16:05

Welcome to the challenge, Iggy. I appreciate having someone willing to join me. :D

Iggy wrote:Thank you for the kind but challenging invitation to do a Photo 52 that I will take up, even though I am still severely time compromised this year too. It should help me get out and about with my camera.

When I did a Photo 365, the constant need to shoot and process so many photos was overwhelming and some of the pictures I published I would not otherwise have chosen to show. This way, I am hoping that I will have both motivation to shoot regularly but with more control of the process and time for reflection. The intention is both to improve and have a reasonable number of images with which I am happy by the end of the year.

Iggy wrote:I have just had a look at 2019 Calendar and apart from being logical, it would also be very helpful if I could add an image on the Sunday of each week that makes the first image due by 6 January 2019. Hopefully, this should not impinge on when you need to post your weekly image in several locations.

Think of it more as a guideline rather than an absolute rule. Provided the images appear once a week, that is all which is really necessary. I am slightly more constrained since I am doing this alongside a mumber of other photographers.

Iggy wrote:Are you expecting CCC members to post their images within this CCC General Photo 2019 Challenge or on a CCC Photo Sharing Section?

When I did the Photo 365, I did a separate post for each image in the photo sharing forum. Otherwise, the thread can get quite long and unwieldy, especially if there is any feedback. It is, though, down to individual choice as to how to present the photos.

Iggy wrote:Now that I have accepted your Photo 52 Challenge, perhaps other CCC members might folllow.

That is the hope. Even if people do not join in, they can at least show some encouragement for those who are participating in the challenge. A short, kindly comment goes a long way.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 18:56

Mike Farley wrote: Even if people do not join in, they can at least show some encouragement for those who are participating in the challenge. A short, kindly comment goes a long way.

In that case let me be the first. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results from this challenge for the coming year. I know Mike and Iggy won't disappoint!
Regards

David A Beard.
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 28 Dec 2018, 22:31

Mike wrote: When I did the Photo 365, I did a separate post for each image in the photo sharing forum.
Rather than have 52 different groups of posts for each POTW over the year, I would like to present my images in groups of 6 or 7 weeks: 6+7+6+7+6+7+6+7=52.
Thus I would only have 8 groups to find in future searches ranging from POTW-G1-Iggy 2019 to POTW-G8-Iggy 2019. Comments please about this type of presentation.
Mike wrote: I am doing this project in conjunction with members at my other club
How is your other club presenting their POTW? As combined images of group members per week? :roll:
Mike wrote: Even if people do not join in, they can at least show some encouragement for those who are participating in the challenge. A short, kindly comment goes a long way.
David, my take was that CCC members might take the time and effort to make mild comments on posted POTW :P , even though our POTW are being posted in the Photo Sharing forum, rather than posting in Image Critique where strong criticism :mrgreen: could be the order of the day!

Still a few days to go before starting to shoot for the first POTW and then post by Sunday 6 Jan 2019!!!
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 29 Dec 2018, 18:57

Iggy wrote:Rather than have 52 different groups of posts for each POTW over the year, I would like to present my images in groups of 6 or 7 weeks: 6+7+6+7+6+7+6+7=52.
Thus I would only have 8 groups to find in future searches ranging from POTW-G1-Iggy 2019 to POTW-G8-Iggy 2019. Comments please about this type of presentation.
Mike wrote: I am doing this project in conjunction with members at my other club
How is your other club presenting their POTW? As combined images of group members per week? :roll:

Other than posting one image per week, there really are no rules for this exercise. If grouping images together helps you, go for it, I say.

My other club has requested members post their images to a dedicated Flickr group which has been set up for the purpose. There are actually three as there are challenges for daily, weekly and monthly images throughout 2019. There is no reason not to set up a similar group for Croydon, although that would work better if more than two people plan to participate.

Iggy wrote:
Mike wrote: Even if people do not join in, they can at least show some encouragement for those who are participating in the challenge. A short, kindly comment goes a long way.
David, my take was that CCC members might take the time and effort to make mild comments on posted POTW :P , even though our POTW are being posted in the Photo Sharing forum, rather than posting in Image Critique where strong criticism :mrgreen: could be the order of the day!

Constructive feedback is always welcome, although the author has the right to disagree with any comments made. 8-)
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 31 Dec 2018, 08:25

For those who prefer the formality of shooting to a schedule, PetaPixel has published a 52 week plan for 2019. Alternatively, just use the weekly themes on an ad hoc basis if looking for inspiration.

https://petapixel.com/2018/12/29/shoot- ... s-in-2019/
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 01 Jan 2019, 00:01

1 January. The fun begins.

Happy New Year, everyone.
Regards

Mike Farley
Laura

Postby Laura » Fri 11 Jan 2019, 09:44

Mike Farley wrote:1 January. The fun begins.

Happy New Year, everyone.

A belated Happy New Year to You All. I am interested in this too, and I have some retrospective images I could upload - but I am confused (as usual) about this environment.

Can I start my own thread called 2019 52 or however Iggy called his...?

Return to “General”