Birds On Sticks

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Rose

Re: Birds On Sticks

Postby Rose » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 12:52

It's not just a north/south divide... I have to say the standard of club photography I've seen here in the south west is very high indeed, so the definition of 'good club photography' cannot necessarily be judged on one's own club, or even the area.

The Open Exhibition standard referred to for D is for national and international salons - but even multiple acceptances at those are no guarantee, as Frances' friend found at Pontefract. Every single one of her images had been awarded multiple ribbons and medals at national & international salons, yet she failed at D because her prints were 'on the wrong paper'.

I'm not defending the PAGB, I am not sure their approach is one that would work for me anyway. When I had a 1:1 with Rod Wheelans at the Photography Show a few years ago he said some of my images were good enough but too subtle for the PAGB judging process. They have to have immediate impact to pass muster in 6 seconds. So there are certain types of images which are less likely to get through a PAGB judging but fair better with the RPS. I'm thinking of going down that route.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 08 Dec 2018, 18:33

Rose wrote:It's not just a north/south divide... I have to say the standard of club photography I've seen here in the south west is very high indeed, so the definition of 'good club photography' cannot necessarily be judged on one's own club, or even the area.

So it is only us in the south-east who fail to pass muster? ;) ;) ;)

Rose wrote:I'm not defending the PAGB, I am not sure their approach is one that would work for me anyway. When I had a 1:1 with Rod Wheelans at the Photography Show a few years ago he said some of my images were good enough but too subtle for the PAGB judging process. They have to have immediate impact to pass muster in 6 seconds. So there are certain types of images which are less likely to get through a PAGB judging but fair better with the RPS. I'm thinking of going down that route.

My view about both the PAGB and RPS is that it is their ball and they decide who plays with it. Plenty of people are succeeding, so the bar is set at a level to make things difficult but not impossible. That said, there are some people who produce a set of images which is different from their usual work purely to get a distinction. Which does not seem right at all.

The RPS introduces it own set of challenges as assessors have longer to look at a panel. As Ann Healey found, it gives them opportunity to spot technical issues which could escape notice by the PAGB. The RPS also have rules about repetition of images and will reject panels if any are too similar. There is a bit of leeway at the LRPS and ARPS levels, but definitely not for FRPS. If opting for prints, they also expect a panel to look coherent and have its own appeal when viewed in its entirety. On the other hand, the RPS does have a range of categories such as Contemporary and Applied so images might succeed which would fail when presented to the PAGB, which is more concerned with visual art.

Utimately, it is a personal decision whether or not to pursue distinctions. Yes, it is a form of validation but to be worthwhile applicants really need to decide whether they are being assessed against criteria with which they agree.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:21

If anyone's on Facebook there's a page where people post images that have been accepted at salons - it's a good indication of the standard for a DPAGB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/photoexhibitions/
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 19 Dec 2018, 16:16

Rose wrote:If anyone's on Facebook there's a page where people post images that have been accepted at salons - it's a good indication of the standard for a DPAGB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/photoexhibitions/

Thanks, Rose. It is a useful indication of the standard required.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 19 Dec 2018, 16:44

At her presentation earlier this month, Ann Healey said a few things about the RPS distinctions which I did not think were correct, but had insufficient knowledge to attempt clarification. I e-mailed the RPS the following day but did not receive a response until I chased them earlier today. The points I was seeking to clarify are in blue.

The RPS refers to digital submissions as Images For Screen (IFS). As I suggested at the presentation, unlike the PAGB these images are not projected but displayed on a 75" 4K monitor which has a maximum resolution of 3840 pixels wide and 2160 pixels high.

The RPS advised in its response:

"This is due to change in 2019 as we move to new premises in Bristol. The move includes a large upgrade to the best current projection technology. As a consequence the following statement is being sent to anyone looking to apply with Images for Screen in 2019:

'The Society is currently reviewing its display dimension requirements for 2019 for Distinctions applicants submitting images for screen (IFS). The final decision on file sizes will be announced no later than January 18th 2019.

'Any applicant considering applying for an IFS Distinction in 2019 should ensure they prepare files which are a maximum of 4096 pixels wide (landscape) or 2160 pixels high (portrait). All other requirements remain unchanged.'
"

Images from failed applications can be re-used in subsequent applications, but the RPS advises taking on board the suggestions made within the feedback.

Images from a successful application cannot be re-used at a higher level.

Applicants at the LRPS and ARPS levels do not have to be members of the RPS but must join if successful before they are entitled to use the letters after their name. Applicants who are already members receive a discount on the application fee.

Applications at the FRPS level are only open to those who hold the ARPS and will therefore already be members of the RPS.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering enetering for a RPS distinction. I will forward to Ann a copy of the e-mail from the RPS.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”