A New Lightroom Alternative

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

A New Lightroom Alternative

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 26 Oct 2018, 08:15

Whenever I give my "Lightroom Overview" lecture, there is always one person in the room who is aggravated about Adobe's subscription only payment policy. They can be quite difficult to dissuade when I get to that section of the talk. "look", I say, "we can either discuss something over which we have no control, or I can tell you about Lightroom." On one memorable occasion, the person concerned did not want to quieten down and the first option really was preferable. I spoke to the club's chairman about it at the interval and he admitted that perhaps he should have intervned.

Clearly, there is a market for those who want to make a just a one-off payment for software with a perpetual licence and what Adobe has done is create an opportunity for its competitors. Enter Photolab 2 from DxO which, for the first time in the company's history, includes a library management function in its Raw processing application. A few years ago, a rep I encountered at a show was, in all seriousness, proposing an arrangement to use Lightroom for managing images and the DxO product for Raw conversion. Anyone considering such a set-up would have to be very dissatisfied with the images from Adobe's Raw processing, which included the ability to make local adjustments. That was a feature with DxO lacked at the time.

I cannot say whether DxO's implementation is as comprehensive as that in Lightroom, but there is a free trial period to ascertain whether it fulfils requirements. Now, if only DxO would change its years long aversion to Fuji's X-Trans files, maybe they would have an application which I could take seriously. For those interested in this Lightroom alternative, there is an introductory discount for purchases made until 18 November.

Further details from DPRreview, amongst others:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/934122750 ... otolibrary
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: A New Lightroom Alternative

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 07:29

Imaging Resource has a comprehensive review of what looks like a promising application:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/articl ... b-2-review
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”