Feedback on shifting room 90 degrees on print night

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Sarahrs

Feedback on shifting room 90 degrees on print night

Postby Sarahrs » Wed 24 Oct 2018, 22:57

Continuing with our experiment to help the people at the back see the print on print night we flipped the room 90 degrees. How did you find it, what can be improved?
Mike Farley

Re: Feedback on shifting room 90 degrees on print night

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 10:28

Well, I can safely say that I had the worst view in the room, of the prints at least. Sitting alongside Tom to record the marks in DiCentra as they were called out*, I was sitting more or less perpendicular to the edge of the easel and had to crane my neck to see anything. Thus my opinion will have an even greater degree of subjectivity than usual.

My impression was that the horseshoe seating arrangement allowed more people to be closer to the prints than otherwise would have been the case, but I suspect that those sitting further away would still struggle to see the finer details. Of the three options the club has tried so far, i.e. traditional, digital projection and horseshoe, this would be my second choice.

BTW, and you will definitely not often see this type of comment from me, I thought the judge gave some very insightful comments without being formulaic. I do not recall that he made any reference to the "rule of thirds" throughout the entire evening. In my recollection, he has not been to the club before but is definitely someone who should be invited back.

* You might wonder why this is necessary. Having a second person records scores makes mistakes less likely, helps the Competition Secretary and means that no further checks are required before publishing the result via PhotoEntry.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Franke07

Postby Franke07 » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 11:31

Not having experienced the print & same time projection, I can't compare the two experiences; however yesterdays seating arrangement gave me a better view than the standard setup. I can understand how having the projected image can work alongside the print, after all this setup is is used universally albeit for mass crowds but has merit here in presenting everyone with the same view. A further observation, most people will go and look at the prints in close up during the break. The only group we don't get a real opportunity to do this with is the Adv class, I realise time is tight and people are focused on getting home. When I was in the other classes I found it useful being able to look at the Adv prints.

I agree with Mike re the judges helpfulness, his comments were insightful, honest and useful - maybe line him up for the nature comp if one has not already been appointed but def ask him back.
waconquy

Postby waconquy » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 15:11

Hi Committee, I thought last nights presentation was as good as it gets. The configuration of the seats were excellent. All Mike needs to do is move to a table more in front of the easel next time.
As Frank and Mike say this particular judge was pretty good even though he didn't particularly give me decent marks. Must use him again. Similarly the seating arraingenment.
I still don't agree with the screen viewing, you don't need it especially now.
Good thinking Batmen
regards Wally
Steve B

Postby Steve B » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 19:09

I agree that the set up was a success although I would like to hear from those in the back corners about visibility. Also, the fact that we were seated in a horseshoe without a gap down the middle felt more inclusive than the traditional format. I hope we can find a way to put the scorers in the front centre or somewhere else they can see what's going on much better.

Agree with others that we should invite the judge back, perhaps for next season's nature competition as I believe this year's is already booked.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 25 Oct 2018, 23:02

Steve B wrote:I hope we can find a way to put the scorers in the front centre or somewhere else they can see what's going on much better.

One limitation is that the battery in the laptop is unlikely to last for a two hour meeting, so it needs to be located fairly close to a power point. Neither do we want to have leads stretching across the floor if that can be avoided.
Regards

Mike Farley
Bill Yates

Postby Bill Yates » Fri 26 Oct 2018, 15:34

There is very simple answer to Mikes problem: use the same seating as on Wenesday last but with everyone facing with their back to the windows. The computer could then be plugged in as before with the scorekeepers behind the main audience.

Bill
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 26 Oct 2018, 16:44

Bill Yates wrote:There is very simple answer to Mikes problem: use the same seating as on Wenesday last but with everyone facing with their back to the windows. The computer could then be plugged in as before with the scorekeepers behind the main audience.

Which means that those responsible for running the competition are furthest away from the easel instead of being adjacent, as now. From a practical perspective, that does not seem like the best idea for the smooth running of a competition.
Regards

Mike Farley
PaulW

Postby PaulW » Sun 28 Oct 2018, 11:18

Hi
I think the room swap, works very well, and is a lot better than having the print files projected with the judge make comments on an image 5’ x 4’, instead of marking the print.

Paul

Return to “General”