Making custom mounts

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Sarahrs

Making custom mounts

Postby Sarahrs » Fri 24 Aug 2018, 23:06

Hi all, I need to make a custom panoramic mount for a picture and I have no idea where to start. Any advice or someone willing to give me a hand would be gratefully appreciated.
Mike Farley

Re: Making custom mounts

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 25 Aug 2018, 08:43

Hi Sarah

You will need some mountboard and tape, of course. If this is a one-off, then you can buy them from a shop which sells artists' supplies. Or if you can wait a few days, you have the option to participate in the club's annual mountboard order which closes next Wednesday.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2840

It is possible to cut mounts by hand, using just a sharp knife such as a scalpel and a credit card to angle the knife when cutting the bevel for the aperture. I did my first ever mount that way. It took ages, involved a lot of cursing and the end result was not that good. An exercise in frustration, although I did manage to retain all my fingers at least. It is definitely a skil which requires practice to develop.

A better option is to use tools designed for the job. Some club members use equipment from Logan, which is reasonably priced. After my initial experience, I bought a mount cutter from Longridge at the annual photography show in Birmingham, taking advantage of their show offer. The expense will probably not be worthwhile if you only require this one mount, but any picture framer will be able to cut cut a mount for you. My neighbour has a picture framing business and he showed me his professional mount cutter. It cost several hundred pounds, the payoff being that he can create a mount in just a few seconds. Very impressive.

Alternatively, provided the mount you require is not bigger than A1 and you do not want to invest in the tools at this time, you can pop over to my place with your picture and I will give you a demonstration of mount cutting using the Longridge.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
waconquy

Re: Making custom mounts

Postby waconquy » Tue 04 Sep 2018, 13:47

Dear Sarah, If you still need advice on mounting, I could show you how, either with just a scalpel blade or with a mount cutter.
Its probably best to show you rather than explain it. Good luck if you try it yourself. give me a ring if you take me up on the offer.
See you tomorrow.
wally

Return to “General”