It Was 10 Years Ago This Week ....

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Re: It Was 10 Years Ago This Week ....

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 05 Sep 2018, 10:28

And oh, Canon is another company which thinks that sterling has parity with the US dollar. $2,299 for the body in the States versus £2,350 here. Even allowing that the US price does not include the 20% VAT which is added here, that is still quite a difference.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Postby davidb » Wed 05 Sep 2018, 13:53

Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 06 Sep 2018, 09:10

It cannot be said that I have been watching the Canon and Nikon mirrorless launches with total disinterest. After all, I have created this forum thread about them. The truth is, though, for me they have come too late. Far too late. I bought my first mirrorless camera back in 2011 as I wanted something smaller and lighter and acquired no further DSLR gear since, That purchase was a Panasonic GF1 and for a long while I thought I would be going down the m43 path. That changed in 2015 when Fuji offered a bundle of a X-Pro1 with two lenses and a case on an interest free deal for around the cost of the lenses. In other words, the X-Pro1 was effectively "free". I had long been interested in Fuji's different take, the X-Pro1's hybrid viewfinder especially, and this was a good opportunity to try the system. If I did not like it, I could sell the kit on for around what I had paid.

In the event, I loved the results from the X-Pro1. As a camera, it has some serious flaws, notably the lack of dioptre adjustment for the viewfinder and agonisingly slow autofocus. It was OK for static subjects, but anything moving was a definite no-no. Press the shutter release and the subject would have disappeared long before the camera fired. A year or so later, I picked up an ex-demo X-E2 for a good price, which addressed some of the X-Pro1's faults. A viewfinder I could actually see through and reasonable, if still not sprightly, AF performance. That camera has garnered me quite a few of my more recent shots. Fuji updated the AF for its X-Pro2/X-T2/X-E3* models, but I was never totally convinced. It did not help that I read an interview with some Fuji execs where they admitted it would take another generation to get AF performance up to par. I used to annoy the heck out of the Fuji reps at shows by saying that the AF was still not up to scratch. Mind you, those same reps used to claim the X-T1 could be used for action when that was clearly never the case.

To its credit, over the life of its current third generation models, Fuji has issued a number of firmware updates which get the best out of the hardware. The last of those earlier this year finally reached a level I would consider acceptable, but by then I knew the X-T3 was on its way. There was little point investing a lot of money in equipment which was about to become obsolete. The depreciation on digital cameras is bad enough as it is. Today, Fuji launched the camera and in a DPReview article I read the words "The autofocus system is a big improvement over previous X-series models". Fuji's moment might have just arrived.

* For some reason, I never took to the X-T20, but did consider the rest of the range at various points.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 07 Sep 2018, 19:28

Another thing to point out is that Fuji does better in the dollar to sterling conversion stakes. Much better. US price is 1,499, UK price £1,349. By my calculation, the camera will cost less in this country, after taking sales tax into account, than it will across the pond. Way to go, Fuji. :D
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 24 Sep 2018, 10:36

I created this thread in anticipation that 2018 would mark a turning point in the development of cameras. The year in which the long anticipated move by Canon and Nikon finally becoming serious about mirrorless cameras would occur. It was was heavily signposted beforehand, so has not proved a disappointment in that regard, even if I am slightly underwhelmed by the actual cameras both companies have produced. Yes, they have their good points as well as the less good, but are typical first generation products. Canon, in particular, has taken a cautious approach, possibly with the intention of not compromising DSLR sales too greatly at this point. The cameras will improve over time. The standout feature for me is the potential which the new mounts offer for the introduction of some stonking lenses. We have already seen some which demonstrate that, although they have price points to match. At their introduction, we have seen gear aimed at the premium market and it is less obvious how either company will address the lower end where most sales occur. I am particularly puzzled by Canon's decision to split its full frame and APS-C ranges, with no apparent option for an upgrade path.

What I had not expected was the launch of another full frame system to join the newcomers alongside existing incumbent Sony. Actually, "launch" is the wrong word since the system already exists in the shape of Leica's L mount which is currently deployed in its CL, TL and SL ranges. Like Sony's E/FE offerings, Leica has deployed its mount in both APS-C and full frame models. Given the extensive number of rumours abounding on the Internet, it appears that we will shortly be seeing an announcement from Leica, Panasonic and Sigma that they have formed a consortium to exploit the L mount further. 25 September, the day before Photokina opens, is the projected date when we will learn more although seemingly it will be next year before there will be will be any details of actual products. We will soon know.

The link I have chosen is to Steve Huff's website. Yes, he is a long term Leica SL user and admitted fan, but he does also highlight most of the drawbacks as well. Weight, size and, of course, price. Quality costs and, unsurprisingly, sales do not appear to have been strong for what is a niche product. The only other thing I would highlight is that the AF is not the best for action, although Panasonic's involvement could address that in future models. I have held a Leica SL a few times. It feels good, albeit heavy, in the hand and the amazing EVF is still the only one I have seen to date which makes manual focussing a cinch. Given that the camera came out three years ago, I am surprised that no one else has been able to match it in the interim. That said, based on early reports Nikon might have managed it with the Z7.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/09/2 ... e-l-mount/
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 25 Sep 2018, 14:15

Mike Farley wrote:.... it appears that we will shortly be seeing an announcement from Leica, Panasonic and Sigma that they have formed a consortium to exploit the L mount further. 25 September, the day before Photokina opens, is the projected date when we will learn more .....

And lo, it came to pass - https://www.dpreview.com/news/536755907 ... t-alliance.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”