Bling

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Bling

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 12 Apr 2018, 19:27

A while back, I mentioned the series of Charlie Cramer videos which Luminous Landscape is publishing. That post has had a lot of views, but no one has commented on it. Has anyone else looked at the videos? I am still working through them, but every time I view one I learn at least one new thing. Charlie Cramer has a lot of experience and seeing a shoot from start to finish is proving very educational.

The most recent lesson? Apparently, when Ansel Adams printed his images he always started with the lowest contrast paper. He said that if you go with a lot of contrast straightaway, you will not want to go back. As a species, we are very prone to be attracted by what my daughter calls "shiny things". Archaeologists dig up a lot of interesting artefacts, but it is always the gold which gets the most attention. A TV which displaying realistic as opposed to warmed up colours would not fare well when compared to others in a showroom. In Kodachrome, Paul Simon sang:

"They give us those nice bright colors
"They give us the greens of summers
"Makes you think all the world's a sunny day"

Ansel Adams mainly worked in monochrome. Throw colour into the mix and it is all too easy to end up with a gawdy and overcooked result. Lightroom has a "Punch" preset which boosts both colour and contrast. Yes, it can sometimes improve the image, but I usually pull both back after I apply it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2771
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”