Raw Processors Compared

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Raw Processors Compared

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 02 Mar 2018, 08:39

A comprehensive review of Raw processors has just been published on PetaPixel (link below). Lightroom, which is subscription only, does not fare too well compared to the newer applications. The one program which is missing from the article is Capture One, but that is much more expensive compared to the other options which are available with a perpetual licence. Topaz Studio has a different approach to its competitors. The core program is free, with Topaz making its money by selling optional add-ons which provide extra functionality.

https://petapixel.com/2018/03/01/raw-pr ... e-quality/

The application which rates best as an all round processing engine is ON1. I was not too impressed with it when it first launched, so I will need to take another look. One thing to bear in mind is that all these programs have a lot of functions and it takes time to learn how to get the best from them. All have free trial periods; my advice would be to download them one at a time and use them comprehensively before making any buying decisions. That said, they all have fairly low purchase prices. If one does produce pleasing results, there is much to gain by simply paying for it there and then.

With Adobe's much disliked subscription only model, all these companies have an incentive to encourage disillusioned customers to switch. There is an ongoing revenue stream to be had through the introduction of upgrades. That means it is likely there will be discounts on offer at various times which can help reduce the initial outlay.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Raw Processors Compared

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 08 Mar 2018, 09:13

The ON1 Photo Raw update mentioned in the linked review has just been released, with ON1 offering a substantial discount for a limited period. More from DPReview.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/531448228 ... n-and-more

Wondering how well Photo Raw deals with Fuji's X-Trans files, I did a quick search and came up with an article from Thomas Fitzgerald. It turns out I was not alone in my thoughts about the initial version which was decidedly clunky. The 2018 update appears to be an improvement but Fitzgerald's view is that the application still requires further refinement. Whether the new version addresses the outstanding issues remains to be seen, although I would not necessarily expect that from a .1 release. Neither would ON1 be discounting its product so heavily if it had gained traction in the market.

It takes time to hone an application. A case in point is Adobe's own Lightroom which went through several major iterations in its early days. It was not until version 5 came out that the pace of change slowed. My personal view is that Adobe will maintain its advantage for a while yet but definitely should be looking over its shoulder at its rivals. Ironically, it has empowered the competition through its move to the subscription only model. That though, is probably just another step in the progression towards forsaking the desktop entirely and solely offering hosted services.

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotograph ... 1-raw-2018

Incidentally, I omitted a major Raw processor in my last post, namely the one from DxO. My blindspot is almost certainly due to the lack of support for Fuji cameras with X-Trans sensors, which is most of them. As that is what I mainly use, it is just not a consideration for me.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”