Upgrade Innovation?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Upgrade Innovation?

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 22 Feb 2018, 09:09

We have become used to manufacturers, most notably Fujifilm, enhancing the performance of their camera after launch and even adding new features. Now Pentax has taken it a step further by offering to upgrade the original K-1 body to the Mk II version for a limited period. So far as I can tell, the main difference between the two cameras is a more powerful processor in the Mk II. Everything else, sensor, shutter etc. remains the same. The upgrade comprises a swap out of the circuit board and the fitting of a Mk II logo.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/216279112 ... ii-for-550

It is an interesting idea for those who want the new features, although I doubt it will catch on. As one of the lower volume producers, there is less investment going into new Pentax models. In the early days of digital, new cameras brought significant improvements and buying the latest model often easy to justify. Those times are long past and gains are marginal with each new launch. It is no longer necessary to change cameras as frequently, which is reflected in the decline of sales volumes over the last few years. Kirk Tuck has published a series of blog articles describing his experiences with a recently acquired Nikon D2Xs. A pro spec camera which dates from 2006. Pentax has it right. It does not need to go to the expense of upgrading hardware on a frequent basis. If it can get its customers to accept that.

This is the link to the first of Kirk Tuck's articles: https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co.uk ... ng-up.html.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Upgrade Innovation?

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 18:36

As an epilogue, I have just read a subsequent blog post from Kirk Tuck about his experiences with the Nikon D2Xs. It has two comments of note. He describes seeing three of him images blown up to 6' x 4' which were shot with different cameras. The sensors ranged from 1" through to full frame. He said there was barely any difference in image quality and certainly not something which a layman would notice.

He also said that having seen what a modern camera can do, he is thinking of returning the Nikon D2Xs. It can be fun to play around with old cameras for a bit but he feels it is more enjoyable to shoot with newer ones.

https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co.uk ... fense.html

At the time of Kirk Tuck's initial post, I did have a quick look on eBay and was surprised to find a number of older pro-spec camneras which (allegedly) had not seen much use. Compared to a decent new camera, prices were around the same or lower. For someone prepared to forego the latest features, there are some attractive offers out there. How about a full frame Canon 1Ds II with just over a claimed 30,000 actuations for £420? There should be plenty of use left in the body and its 16.7 megapixel sensor is enough to make an A2 print. Caveat emptor applies, of course, but there is the eBay guarantee as well as a 30 day return period on this particular listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-1D ... SwBCFalUUB
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Re: Upgrade Innovation?

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 05 Mar 2018, 10:30

Kirk Tuck's dalliance with his Nikon D2Xs continues ans so far he has kept the camera. In his latest blog post he makes the point that 12 MP is actually fine for most purposes, especially when shooting handheld. Higher resolutions do provide more detail but can also accentuate any camera movement during the exposure. Of course, image stabilisation systems can help there. It is debatable, though, just how much of that extra resolution translates into improvement in image quality. Any downsizing to create a DPI will discard information and there is a limit to how much detail can be shown in a print. 12 MP is more than sufficient for an image printed to full size A3, which is larger than needed for most club competitions. Not to mention the standard upsampling algorithm in Photoshop can double image size without losing detail.

Where modern sensors do win out is their ability to operate at high ISO settings. 6400, which was unheard of in the days of film, is becoming routine without significant loss of detail or dynamic range. On sunny days it does not matter, but British weather does not always cooperate. Last week I ventured out to capture the last of the snowy conditions on what was a very dull day and even in the open I was at ISO 640 @ f/8 and 1/250. Shoot by available light indoors, as I regularly do, and a minimum of 3200 is frequently necessary even at large apertures.

Use an older camera within its limitations and it still can provide good results. Kirk Tuck has some examples in his latest blog article, link below.

https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co.uk ... amera.html
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”