KAF2-mount macro lens with Canon 70D dslr camera

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Iggy

Re: KAF2-mount macro lens with Canon 70D dslr camera

Postby Iggy » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 23:01

Hand holding a lens for macro shots and trying to focus at the same time is a new skill set that needs practice and patience. I may use the Pentax lens occasionally just for macro shots instead of the Sigma 17 -70mm macro lens that did not give me enough depth of field when I used it for fish photography.

Today, I used the camera and Pentax lens in shutter speed priority (1/60 to 1/200) with apertures set between f2.8 and F8.0. Problem is that aperture data is not recorded in the image data.

I may well leave the Pentax on the 400D although perhaps I should see how it compares with the standard Canon 18-55mm lens that I have never really used at all! I will repeat today's images with the Canon lens tomorrow.

Anyway, here are couple more images with the Pentax lens.
iggy
Attachments
1s-Rose in a bottle IMG_0659.jpg
1s-Rose in a bottle IMG_0659.jpg (388.82 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
1s-Hydrangena Flowers IMG_0668.jpg
1s-Hydrangena Flowers IMG_0668.jpg (384.86 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 16 Feb 2018, 08:43

Iggy wrote:Hand holding a lens for macro shots and trying to focus at the same time is a new skill set that needs practice and patience.

Not to mention luck, especially if you are using live view magnification and focussing with the lens wide open before stopping down. It is impossible not to move the camera in the process. You might also be experiencing camera shake if your shutter speed is too low. At close distances, any movement will be magnified. It is slightly easier with a mirrorless camera which has focus peaking, but not much. Any form of macro work really demands a tripod. Even more so when focussing manually.

Iggy wrote:I may use the Pentax lens occasionally just for macro shots instead of the Sigma 17 -70mm macro lens that did not give me enough depth of field when I used it for fish photography.

The "macro" function of most zoom lenses does not give true 1:1 reproduction which is the true definition of macro. Even the Pentax might only get to 1:2 without the use of extension tubes. The best the Sigma can likely achieve is probably 1:4 or possibly 1:3. If it allows close focussing at its lowest focal length, DOF should be greater, especially when combined with the lower reproduction ratio as you will not be as close.

Iggy wrote:I may well leave the Pentax on the 400D although perhaps I should see how it compares with the standard Canon 18-55mm lens that I have never really used at all! I will repeat today's images with the Canon lens tomorrow.

All things being equal, a prime lens, even one which is 25 years old, will always perform better than a zoom. The Canon 18-55 is an inexpensive lens with compromises in the optical design to cater for the range of focal lengths. It might appear sharper, but that will be due to focussing errors and lack of image stabilisation if you are handholding the Pentax. Put your macro lens on a tripod mounted camera, take care when focussing, lock the mirror up before making the exposure, trigger the shutter remotely or with delayed action and see what it really can do.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Fri 16 Feb 2018, 12:16

Thanks Mike for all the further comments and advice.
Earlier this morning morning, I did shoot some more flowers in the shade with the camera and Pentax lens hand held again.
Perhaps, I should post these images on the sharing image section, but since all the discussion is here. I will stay here.
First two images with Pentax Macro lens. 1st image, both camera + Pentax lens are hand held! 3rd image with cheap Canon lens using autofocus.
images with no correction what so ever.

I will take up your advice about using a tripod. Have transferred Pentax lens to Canon 70D for this exercise. Back to the garden!

Iggy
Attachments
3-Hand held rose & Camera!!!  IMG_0736.jpg
3-Hand held rose & Camera!!! IMG_0736.jpg (280.42 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
3-Fading Red Rose IMG_0715.jpg
3-Fading Red Rose IMG_0715.jpg (372.11 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
3-White Rose - Cheasp Canon 18-55 lens IMG_0695.jpg
3-White Rose - Cheasp Canon 18-55 lens IMG_0695.jpg (271.23 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Return to “General”