IBIS

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

IBIS

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 11 Feb 2018, 08:27

Caution. Geek alert. If you are not interested in the internal workings of cameras, you need read no further. If, though, you would like to see two considered views of the pros and cons of IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) follow the link below to The Online Photographer. Summary: it presents engineering challenges and can adversely affect image quality since the sensor cannot be completely locked into position.

The article is about the "leaks"* of the forthcoming Fuji X-H1 camera, the first from the company to feature IBIS. A technology which Fuji said it would never implement, incidentally. The X-H1 is not the story here, rather the featured comments about IBIS from Stephen Scharf and Steve Jacob. Both of whom sound as though they know of what they speak. Having read the comments, I for one hope that Fuji will continue to avoid IBIS for the majority of its cameras.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... eaked.html

As a bonus, in the other comments to the article, there is a further comment from Stephen Scharf about AF. Did you know that the efficiency of AF depends on the colour of the subject? It was not something of which I was previously aware. Nor that one reason why professional photographers dislike high speed continuous frame rates is that it wears out their shutters more quickly.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... d912ac970c

* Leaks of forthcoming cameras and lenses are so common, it is difficult to believe that this story appeared without Fuji's knowledge. It means that there are two sets of publicity for the launch over an extended period.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: IBIS

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 15 Feb 2018, 08:25

As a follow-up to the section of the previous post which addressed "leaks", the Fuji X-H1 has just been announced. On cue with the forecast date and specifications as predicted.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/038080072 ... bilization

As an aside, for me the one thing missing from the new camera is the exposure compensation dial. Simultaneously it is the most useful and annoying feature of the Fuji cameras I have used. Useful because I can adjust exposure using the live histogram without taking my eye from the viewfinder. Annoying due to its tendency not to be on zero* when I take the camera out of my bag. Not every shot I take is fully considered before I press the shutter and sometimes after capturing a fleeting moment I find the dial is not at the position I thought it was.

* And yes, I am aware that the dial does not move by itself. It is located at the point where I usually grab the camera when taking it out of the bag and that is when the setting changes. If Fuji made it stiffer to compensate for accidental movement, it would would less easy to use when I do want to adjust the setting.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”