PhotoEntry Update

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

PhotoEntry Update

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 10 Dec 2017, 14:57

During the current round of entries for the second print competition on Wednesday, a couple of queries have arisen and I thought it worth mentioning them here to make others aware.

Both related to the entry of titles on the "Add Entry" screen which appears before the second screen where the image is uploaded. The first incident related to a word which has a different spelling in American English. The offending word was underlined with a red squiggle to indicate an incorrect spelling, although PhotoEntry does not in fact have a spellchecker. Some browsers such as Chrome or Safari do have built-in spellcheckers and it was the browser which had generated the warning. In the case of Chrome, the default dictionary it uses is for American English although that can be changed.

The second query occurred when a member had an "Invalid Format" error. This was combined with a browser generated spellcheck warning hence the member thought that the title had been rejected due to spelling. In reality, the problem was caused by the use of an ampersand, which is an invalid character, in the title. Simply replacing the ampersand with "and" fixed the problem on this occasion. It transpires that the image title is used to generate the internal file name for PhotoEntry and certain characters are not allowed since they are prohibited by the operating system for such use. The only ones permitted are: ,.!'-%()$£

The "Add Entry" and "Upload New Image" screens both have a "Show Help" button which displays some additional information when activated. It is worth using this if anything unexplained occurs as it might help shed light on the problem. The developer of PhotoEntry has also said that some messages will be changed to contain more details if they can fit onto a single line.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Re: PhotoEntry Update

Postby Peter Boughton » Sun 10 Dec 2017, 17:37

It transpires that the image title is used to generate the internal file name for PhotoEntry and certain characters are not allowed since they are prohibited by the operating system for such use. The only ones permitted are: ,.!'-%()$£

That's a bug in PhotoEntry then.
Mike Farley

Re: PhotoEntry Update

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 10 Dec 2017, 18:09

Peter Boughton wrote:That's a bug in PhotoEntry then.

Which is what I thought, but I have had a number of discussions with the developer and they can become quite protracted. As it was relatively minor, I decided to let this one go and keep my powder dry in case of something more serious. If he adds a more useful error message, that's a reasonable compromise in my book.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”