Amateur Photographer w/e 9 September 2017

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Amateur Photographer w/e 9 September 2017

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Sep 2017, 10:17

Amateur Photographer is a strange magazine these days. Some weeks you wonder whey they bothered to put a publication together, yet on other occasions it has some genuinely useful information. The edition due out tomorrow (5 September) is one of the latter. There is an article listing landscape locations which are easily accessible from the road, such as the Glencoe Pass. Admittedly, the most attractive scenery tends not be in the south of the country and quite a few worthwhile places are a few hours drive away, but that is not the point of the piece. Besides, that is what holidays are for.

The nearest location to us is Elmley National Nature Reserve on the Isle of Sheppey and that is definitely accessible from Croydon. Possibly it will not make those residing in Scotland envious, but at least there are no midges. The Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, where some of us will be going later this month, also gets a mention.

The other section which I found useful was a series of tips about "hidden" tools in Lightroom by James Paterson, who has written a number of informative articles about the application. Most of them are on the Amateur Photographer website and I have linked to them from the forum already. I think that I know Lightroom quite well, but I am always finding out new things and this column was no exception. Some I knew, but some were new. ;)

Finally, there is a review of Loupedeck, the new Lightroom editing console which we have discussed on the forum previously. AP liked it, although they did recognise the console does not fully replace other input devices and its cost is only really justified for high volume users who need to save time. On its own, the review is unlikely to justify the purchase price of the magazine, but is of interest nonetheless.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”