Favourite Images?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Favourite Images?

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 08:40

At present, I am looking into the topic of perception. How we perceive is subject to a number of factors, including agenda, assumptions and life experience. Mood also plays a part. All that means our perception can change over time, even relatively short periods. It also means that perception varies across individuals, as judges frequently demonstrate. Even identical twins will not necessarily perceive in the same way since the influences to which they are exposed will differ in the course of their lives, after childhood in particular.

So this blog post from Mike Johnston at The Online Photographer is timely - http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.co ... menon.html.

The phenomenom where we can like a shot at the time of taking, yet its appeal fades over time and vice versa is fascinating. It got me thinking about our own work. Do you have a favourite image in your own portfolio? Are there any images which you have taken which have proven to grow on you? If so, why not share them here and say what you like about them? Reviewing our images and looking at the likes of others can only help strengthen us all as photographers.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: Favourite Images?

Postby davidb » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:40

I have a favourite (one amongst many!)! I've liked it since first seeing the raw image in Lightroom. It was taken on the Bluebell Railway during one of their 'Giants of Steam' events.

It hasn't faired particularly well in competitions and it was accepted for the SPA bi-annuals. But it doesn't change my view of it. Yes, I'm still trying to flog it!

Also, the trip to Millers Wood produced some very likeable shots and I could count a number of these as favourites. See -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/44566609@ ... 4099932770
Attachments
20151101 1DX 0001 BR Standard class 5 no 73082 'Camelot' @ EG.JPG
20151101 1DX 0001 BR Standard class 5 no 73082 'Camelot' @ EG.JPG (195.85 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 08:01

davidb wrote:I have a favourite (one amongst many!)! I've liked it since first seeing the raw image in Lightroom. It was taken on the Bluebell Railway during one of their 'Giants of Steam' events.

It hasn't faired particularly well in competitions and it was accepted for the SPA bi-annuals. But it doesn't change my view of it. Yes, I'm still trying to flog it!

Thanks, David. Your shot neatly illustrates something which I have observed over the years. Some images can have a wide appeal, but often those which do well in club competitions fail at higher levels. That is not so surprising, but it works the other way around as well. Selectors at federation and national level really do look for something different which stand out from the others. In their view, at least. With its unusual perspective and a sense of mystery as to what is happening, I would say your picture does that.

A SPA acceptance is not so shabby. Congratulations.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 08:50

Mike

It's nice to be appreciated. I was happy with the SPA acceptance even though it only just made it.

Here's the unprocessed image just for comparison :)
Attachments
20151101 1DX 0001 BR Standard class 5 no 73082 'Camelot' @ EG-2.JPG
20151101 1DX 0001 BR Standard class 5 no 73082 'Camelot' @ EG-2.JPG (180.77 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 22 Aug 2017, 08:42

Thanks, David. Interesting to see the before and after images. Perception does not cease at the taking stage, but is ongoing until the completion of the photo.

Congratulations also on being the only person here who has a favourite shot.
Regards

Mike Farley
Nina

Postby Nina » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 07:19

Good morning Mike

Interesting thread and as you say it could be useful.

I have a favourite shot also. It is very personal and therefore may not have the same appeal for others, but it was judged as 12 at club level and top marks also at SPA and some online photography forums.

This was one of those shots I immediately liked and whilst it was taken some years ago it has continued appeal for me.

It would be good to hear what you and the others think. Thanks.

Regards

Nina

Check out my latest work
On www.pbase.com/ninaludwig
davidb

Postby davidb » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 08:21

Some nice patterns with a little bit of interest with the passing human.

It's not something I would have taken (the door might have gotten a second glance; I would have missed the human!) but it does have a certain amount of appeal and I can understand why it's done well.
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:33

Nina wrote:I have a favourite shot also. It is very personal and therefore may not have the same appeal for others, but it was judged as 12 at club level and top marks also at SPA and some online photography forums.

Hi Nina

This shot illustrates very well the point I was making in the opening post. I remember it well from when you first showed it at the club and know the reasons why it is so personal for you. The image has connotations which are not apparent and most viewers will not be aware of the significance it holds. It is one of those occasions when the picture does not always stand on its own and needs the story behind it so those who see it can gain a better understanding. A famous example is Ansel Adams' "Moonrise, Hernandez". Maybe the image stands on its own, but it certainly helps knowing that Adams saw a fleeting scene and took what was essentially a grab shot which he enhanced in the darkroom.

Returning to your shot, which is enigmatic in nature. The door on its own does not hold interest for long but the figure behind it raises questions for the viewer which go unanswered. Some will appreciate that additional complexity, while others will want a more documentary approach. I am tempted to say for that reason it is a marmite shot, except I fall between the two sides. From a purely photographic perspective, I prefer that it is enigmatic, but would like the figure to be larger and have a different posture. Neither am I sure about the area of red on the right which is positioned prominently and acts as a distraction. Overall, it is a reasonably good image and deserves the success you have achieved with it. When coupled with the backstory, though, it becomes considerably more powerful.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”