Mountboard Purchase 2017

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Mountboard Purchase 2017

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 12:49

Presenting the latest round of the club's annual bulk purchase of mountboard from Wessex Pictures. The price we are able to obtain is far lower than on the high street, so participation is worthwhile for everyone who will be entering prints into next season's competitions and annual exhibition. Prices remain unchanged from last year and I have listed only the most commonly requested items to keep this post as brief as possible. Provided we order more than £75 (ex VAT) of goods, there will be no charge for delivery. At the end of this post there are links to what I wrote in 2015 if anyone requires further information.

See also the next post which details how to place an order, the arrangements for which are the same as in previous years.

The bottom line is that mountboard starts at £3-18 (£2-65+VAT) per A0 sheet, which is sufficient to produce four standard 40 x 50 mounts. Discounts are available for volume purchases of the same colour, so these are the maximum prices. As I have to order in multiples of 10 or 25, I might need to adjust orders in order to achieve the required number. Wherever possible, I will keep any such alterations to a minimum. This link to the Wessex Pictures website shows which colours are available, but the most usual requests are for "White" and "Antique White" - https://www.wessexpictures.com/wessex_l ... oards.html.

Backing board (Nubord) is also available in two thicknesses, 1.8 mm and 2.3 mm. The thinner of the two is more than adequate to stiffen prints and is slightly cheaper at £2-82 (£2-35+VAT) per sheet. Once again there is a bulk purchase discount if we order 50 sheets or more. http://www.wessexpictures.com/NuBord.html

For anyone who wants tape, the most usual items are:

Brown masking tape (http://www.wessexpictures.com/product576.html):

• 1" - £1-86 (£1-55+VAT)
• 1.5" - £2-82 (£2-35+VAT)
• 2" - £3-72 (£3-10+VAT)

Double sided tape (http://www.wessexpictures.com/product584.html):

• 1/4" - £3-24 (£2.70+VAT)
• 1/2" - £4-62 (£3-85+VAT)

A 10% discount is available for orders of 5 or more of the same type of tape.

One disappointing item of news is that Wessex no longer sells the black frames we have been using for the exhibition, so we will need to find a new source for anyone who requires frames for Photo 2018.

Note that Wessex Pictures does not sell directly to the public, but I can obtain anything which is shown on their website.

Links to the 2015 forum posts:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1697&hilit=wessex#p8102
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Mountboard Purchase 2017

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 13:11

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

A separate post so that the details for the ordering process do not get lost amongst the other information.

Anyone who wishes to place an order should do so by replying to this forum topic stating what they wish to purchase. The closing date is Wednesday, 30 August 2016*, which should allow sufficient time to allow everyone to decide what they need. I will place the club's order with Wessex Pictures in time for it to be brought to the club for our first meeting of the new season on 6 September 2017. That will allow time for members to mount images for the Bamber Trophy the following week, which is for monochrome prints.

As neither I nor the club have any long term storage facilities, those placing orders will need to be present that evening to collect their board or make arrangements for it to be picked up on their behalf.

As in previous years, I will track all requests in a spreadsheet from which I can calculate the cost of what each individual has ordered.

Don't forget, the more we buy, the cheaper it will be for everyone. Our order needs to be a minimum of £75 (ex VAT) to qualify for free delivery, which based on previous experience we will amply exceed.

* In the past I have been astounded when one or two people have said that they wanted board, but had not requested it and would I organise another order just for them! Let me say now that this exercise takes a lot of effort and the closing date is the closing date. Only in exceptional circumstances will I be placing another order this year.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Thu 13 Jul 2017, 23:28

My requirements are:

Antique White 5
Daler Ice White, white core 2
Dark Green (WM543) 6
1" Brown Masking Tape 1
Alum. Frame 600x800 (APRB6080) 1

Note - to help make up numbers if needed an additional board can be added to each of the above.

Thanks for organising this Mike.
Last edited by davidb on Sat 29 Jul 2017, 00:10, edited 5 times in total.
Regards

David A Beard.
toms

Postby toms » Sat 15 Jul 2017, 07:59

Hi Mike,

My requirements are:

Antique White 5
Black - 3 (if possible)
Dark Green - 2 (if possible)
Brown Masking Tape 1½" - 1
Backing board (thin as suggested) - 5

Thanks you again for organising the purchase.

Regards,

Tom
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:12

One disappointing item of news is that Wessex no longer sells the black frames we have been using for the exhibition, so we will need to find a new source for anyone who requires frames for Photo 2018.

Presume you have spoken to them as they still appear to have them listed on their website?? https://www.wessexpictures.com/aluminiu ... rames.html
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:49

Paul Heester wrote:

Presume you have spoken to them as they still appear to have them listed on their website?? https://www.wessexpictures.com/aluminiu ... rames.html

Yes, I spoke to them when I was checking prices before I submitted the first post in this thread. They have frames in other sizes and colours, but have sold out of silver and black 50 x 40 ones. Gold is still available in 50 x 40 for anyone who wants it. That they are still showing the black frames on their website is probably simply an administrative oversight. The silver frames are no longer there.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:37

At last night's meeting, I mentioned that I am intending to purchase some Daler mountboard in a whiter shade than is available with Wessex Pictures own brand. The cost is £5-40 (£4-50+VAT for the standard mountboard and £6-34 (£5-28+VAT) for white core. There is a discount of 10% for a pack of five. I have not yet decided on the shade, but I am considering Ice White.

The link below is to Daler's colour chart.

http://www.daler-rowney.com/files/webfo ... 0Chart.pdf
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Fri 21 Jul 2017, 12:01

Mike Farley wrote:Yes, I spoke to them when I was checking prices before I submitted the first post in this thread. They have frames in other sizes and colours, but have sold out of silver and black 50 x 40 ones. Gold is still available in 50 x 40 for anyone who wants it. That they are still showing the black frames on their website is probably simply an administrative oversight. The silver frames are no longer there.

I wonder if the Club could buy a quantity of Gold frames and substitute these for the Black frames for all trophy winners; the prints would be returned to there original frames at the end of the exhibition. Just a thought :D

(Storage might be a problem though)
Regards

David A Beard.
Ronald Barker

Postby Ronald Barker » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 08:29

Hi Mike

Can I have 5 backing board ( thin one ) and 2 Dark green ( same as Toms )

Thank you.

Just a thought have the frames been discontinued complete or just out of stock and will come back at a later date when we cold be putting the order through.

Ron
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 22 Jul 2017, 08:51

Ronald Barker wrote:Just a thought have the frames been discontinued complete or just out of stock and will come back at a later date when we cold be putting the order through.Ron

Wessex will not be restocking the frames.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”