tether pro cables for viewing on computers

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
walterconquy

tether pro cables for viewing on computers

Postby walterconquy » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 15:44

Dear All, I am trying to take pictures using a Tether Pro USB cable, connected to my Nikon camera. Unfortunately nothing happens to either my camera or my iMac.
I am told you connect up by using Lightroom, been there done that. Any ideas where i am going wrong.
Love to hear from somebody who has tried this. It can be so useful taking portraits or still lifes.
Regards All
Wally
Mike Farley

Re: tether pro cables for viewing on computers

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 19:10

Wally

According to Adobe, the Nikon D300 (which is the camera I believe you have) has been supported since Lightroom 3.0. Given that it was released quite a few years ago, I am making the assumption that you are using something more recent than that. If you are still on Lightroom 2.x, then you will need to upgrade first. Given the extent of the changes to Lightroom in the intervening period, it will be money well spent for anyone who has not updated their software.

The other thing which you need to do is to start the tethering process. From the File menu, select "Tethered Capture", then "Start Tethered Capture". After that, you can choose your tethering options. Simples?

If you are still stuck, the link below is for a step by step tutorial.

https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... -tethered/

PS In my role as a moderator, I have moved this thread from the Announcements forum to General. It did not belong in the former.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 08:16

Hi Wally

Scott Kelby hears you. He has just posted an article about tethering at Lightroom Killer Tips - https://lightroomkillertips.com/five-th ... lightroom/.

Very impressive. Wally Speaks. Scott Kelby obeys. ;)
Regards

Mike Farley
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 14:36

Thanks Mike, you are useful sometimes. Do I really need to update my Lightroom , I cannot see anything in my updates to do that and I do have it on rental with photoshop, so does it not come with photoshop updates naturally?
Scott Kelby does mention the fact that you should take the card from the camera so the image goes straight to the hard drive, which is something I found out yesterday evening, accidentally.
I am about to try again and see how it works, if it works. I am a little worried the cable is at fault. I bought it when we went to Birmingham earlier in the year and only now will I need it.
Fortunately I am not desperate and can do the job without it.
Anyway thanks again Mike.
Regards Wally
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 14:42

walterconquy wrote:Thanks Mike, you are useful sometimes.

Faint praise ..... :lol:

walterconquy wrote:Do I really need to update my Lightroom , I cannot see anything in my updates to do that and I do have it on rental with photoshop, so does it not come with photoshop updates naturally?

If you are using Lightroom CC, then no. You did not state what version of Lightroom you are running, so I only mentioned the possibility in case your software was out of date.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”