Flyiing With a Camera

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Flyiing With a Camera

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 17 Jun 2017, 07:35

I had thought that it was just laptops covered by the recent ban on travellers flying to the US from certain countries in the Middle East. It turns out that camera bodies are included as well and there are suggestions that the ban will be extended to passengers departing from Europe. The UK has followed the US lead, although I have not checked whether cameras are included. The point is that regulations are changing and could be adopted by other countries as they respond to terrorist threats. And the rules which apply might be amended at very short notice, as happened at least twice in recent years to my knowledge. The arrangements which pertained when setting out on a trip might not remain the same for its duration.

There is more about the US regulations and precautions to take while travelling at Thom Hogan's blog - http://www.bythom.com/photographic-trav ... g-tsa.html.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
walterconquy

Re: Flyiing With a Camera

Postby walterconquy » Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:14

Mike, How does it end up. Can we take cameras and batteries on or not. I found that in the article you could and couldn't.
If you can put it in another box or bag and put it in the baggage compartment what's the difference, you can still blow the plane up, without anyone knowing
you have a camera/battery/laptop. I am still not clear whether I can actually take a battery on board in either place.
Crazy.
Wally
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 17 Jun 2017, 18:33

walterconquy wrote:Mike, How does it end up. Can we take cameras and batteries on or not. I found that in the article you could and couldn't.
If you can put it in another box or bag and put it in the baggage compartment what's the difference, you can still blow the plane up, without anyone knowing
you have a camera/battery/laptop. I am still not clear whether I can actually take a battery on board in either place.
Crazy.
Wally

Wally

If you are concerned and planning to fly, I suggest that you check the position in respect of cameras and laptops with your airline beforehand.

The article was written by an American and relates to the situation in the US, but the new rules could be applied more widely. The point of posting was to warn that the position about flying with battery powerd equipment is changing and there is the possibility that amended regulations could be introduced without warning. Depending on what happens, the advice in the article might or might not apply. It's a fluid situation, unfortunately.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 12 Jul 2017, 08:43

It seems that cameras ARE banned from hand luggage when flying into the UK from certain countries. This is one person's experience, who claims to have ended up having his gear stolen in transit.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/11/tunisa ... tole-mine/
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 21 Oct 2017, 07:42

Now America's FAA does not want us to check our cameras and other lithium ion powered electronic devices into the hold. You cannot make this stuff up.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/791885298 ... ecked-bags
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”