Free to a Good Home

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Free to a Good Home

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 05 Dec 2016, 08:17

My neighbour has given me a Jessop's Nikon AI fit 2x auto teleconverter for which he wonders if anyone has a use. It is boxed and comes complete with case. Condition is good, like new in fact.

I am not particularly au fait with the Nikon mount, so the next bit is based on a certain amount of supposition. If I am correct, the "auto" part of the designation refers to aperture, which will be passed to compatible cameras. (While the Nikon mount itself has not changed since its introduction in 1959, the linkages with the camera have for some models. Those are mainly at the budget end of the range.) Focus is manual only.

If anyone is interested, let me know by responding to this post. I'll bring with me to club next time I go, which will be 14 December. I will put it on offer there if there have been no takers before then.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
walterconquy

Re: Free to a Good Home

Postby walterconquy » Tue 06 Dec 2016, 15:35

Hi Mike, if nobody else would like your teleconverter, I would be interested. see you on the 14th
Wally
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 06 Dec 2016, 16:46

walterconquy wrote:Hi Mike, if nobody else would like your teleconverter, I would be interested. see you on the 14th
Wally

Hi Wally

As the first person to respond, it's yours. I'll bring it along on the 14th.

Regards

Mike
Regards

Mike Farley
walterconquy

Postby walterconquy » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 12:17

Thanks Mike looking forward to it.
By the way are you organising another trip to Birmingham for the Photography Show in March 2017, if so I am interested, just need a date when and if.
Thanks again
Wally
Iggy

Postby Iggy » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 14:18

Hi Mike,
I was looking for a Canon fit 2X multiplier to extend my modest 70-300mm lens, but there does not seem to be anything on the market.
Let me know if you or anyone else knows different.
Thanks,
Iggy
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 07 Dec 2016, 19:31

Iggy wrote:I was looking for a Canon fit 2X multiplier to extend my modest 70-300mm lens, but there does not seem to be anything on the market.

If it's a modest telezoom, the maximum apertures probably range from f/4 at the short end to f/5.6 at the long end. A 2x converter has a two stop penalty, so those values become f/8 and f/11 respectively. That means AF is unlikely to work, as it normally requires f/5.6 as a minimum although some better specified cameras can manage f/8 on the centre AF point. You will almost certainly be left trying to focus the lens manually, which is not that easy on a DSLR via the viewfinder. Live view should be OK though. Given these limitations, it is not surprising a 2x converter is unavailable.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 08 Dec 2016, 10:32

walterconquy wrote:By the way are you organising another trip to Birmingham for the Photography Show in March 2017, if so I am interested, just need a date when and if.

Hi Wally

Tom has started a separate thread on this topic. See: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2309#p10815.

Anyone who is thinking of going with the club should register an interest on that thread. If there are sufficient numbers, I'll will organise an outing.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”