A Footnote in the History of Photography

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

A Footnote in the History of Photography

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 06 Apr 2016, 08:42

Lytro has finally admitted the inevitable and withdrawn its innovative consumer light field camera from the market, concentrating instead on developing a virtual reality platform. Maybe one day we will see a return of the technology to photography, but it simply was not ready neither now nor in the foreseeable future. Imaging Resouce has written an insightful article about the issues the company faced.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/20 ... es-cameras
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: A Footnote in the History of Photography

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 06 Apr 2016, 17:11

I have added a post about the Lytro cameras to my blog.

http://lightintotheshadows.proimageblog ... otography/
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Thu 07 Apr 2016, 03:40

Good post!

I have a question about this -

[The sigma foveon sensors are like film] in the way it renders the end result.

Paraphrased for brevity - what is it about the way it renders that is like film in your view? I'm not sure I see it but have far less experience looking! I thought it did look different but film-like wasn't something I thought.

Or is it more really the experience of shooting with them that's like film than the end result?

Also would you prefer I post questions here or on your blog :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 07 Apr 2016, 19:34

davidc wrote:Good post!

Thanks. :D

davidc wrote:..... would you prefer I post questions here or on your blog :)

I am posting less on the forum these days, as anything I really want to say I am putting on the blog, so there would be preferable.

davidc wrote:I have a question about this -

[The sigma foveon sensors are like film] in the way it renders the end result.

Paraphrased for brevity - what is it about the way it renders that is like film in your view? I'm not sure I see it but have far less experience looking! I thought it did look different but film-like wasn't something I thought.)

It's a subtle thing, but the colours seem a bit more film like and the rendering of tonal gradations and overall contrast tend to be that bit smoother, more in keeping with film. What is different is the high acuity, which means that details appear sharper. Whether it becomes apparent in the final image after all the post processing adjustments have been applied is another matter.

davidc wrote:Or is it more really the experience of shooting with them that's like film than the end result?

I would not say that, although the process of getting from a Raw file to finished shot is more convoluted due to the need to go through Sigma's Photo Pro software adds some extra steps. The slow write speed to the card also means that it takes a while before a shot can be reviewed. The Quattro models are improved compared to the earlier Merrills, but it is still there.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 09:33

With the announcement that it has closed its online image sharing platform, Lytro has hammered more nails into the coffin of its defunct cameras. As DPReview reports, the only way to view the images is through the desktop application although it is possible to export the images in conventional image formats. A few years ago I handled a Lytro Illum at The Societies Convention trade show, where the camera was being offered at a discount. I could have had one for £1,200 as I recall. Fortunately, I did not fancy being an early adopter, especially at that price.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/696731503 ... eld-images
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 12 Dec 2017, 08:24

According to DPReview, all might not be lost for owners of Lytro cameras as the company is pondering whether to release the code for the image sharing platform to the open source community.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/943143537 ... g-platform

The last sentence of the article is particularly pertinent and not just for those who are early adopters of new technology, such as the computational photography Light L16 camera. Adobe's recent moves towards Cloud based computing makes its customers even more dependent on the company continuing to operate. Just because something is mainstream does not mean its existence is assured in perpetuity.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 22 Mar 2018, 08:23

The saga continues. DPReview reports that Google is in the process of acquiring Lytro for $40m. I suspect that represents a substantial loss to those who originally invested in the start-up. Given the move into virtual reality, which is Google's interest, it also probably means that there will be no further stills cameras based on light field technology. If that is going to happen, it will have to be developed by another company which will have to navigate its way through existing patents.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/563728498 ... 40-million
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 23 Mar 2018, 07:18

A report on Imaging Resource suggests that Lytro never delivered on its promises and devoured a substantial amount of its investors' money along the way.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2 ... ro-patents
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 08:01

Official confirmation that Lytro is shutting down and some additional information about Google's role in the closure. DPReview has an article.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/212796644 ... tting-down
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”