Samsung NX1 Discontinued in Europe?

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Samsung NX1 Discontinued in Europe?

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 12 Nov 2015, 08:46

There's a suggestion at DPReview, which does not usually go in for rumours unless it thinks they can be substantiated, that Samsung is no longer selling the NX1 in Europe. If true, anything currently on sale will be existing stock. What is certainly puzzling is Samsung's half hearted approach. Their cameras have been well received and the NX1 was no exception, receiving 87% and a gold award in DPReview's own appraisal, yet Samsung does not seem to have promoted it. I thought I might be able to see one at The Photography Show earlier this year, but Samsung was not there. Admittedly, there is not a huge range of lenses available and no new ones have been added recently, which begs the question why develop the camera if there is no commitment to introducing a complete system? Maybe there is a NX2 waiting in the wings, but that would suffer a similar fate unless Samsung changes its strategy.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/893060 ... rs-say-yes

This is DPReview's summary of he camera - http://www.dpreview.com/products/samsun ... nx1/review
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Re: Samsung NX1 Discontinued in Europe?

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 20 Nov 2015, 08:03

DPReview has updated its story and in Germany it is not just the NX1 which Samsung has withdrawn but its entire range of still cameras and camcorders.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/893060 ... rs-say-yes

I was in Park Cameras the other day and while there was a display of Samsung cameras, I did not see the NX1 amongst them. Given that camera sales are still falling and the decline does not look as though it has not yet bottomed out, this could be the first of many such rationalisations. Even taking into account Japanese corporate pride and accounting practices, surely at least obe will buckle sooner or later?
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 21 Nov 2015, 08:20

DPReview has justpublished its roundup of interchangeable lens cameras costing $1200 - $2000 and the NX1 gets the nod in the APS-C category. All the greater pity that Samsung no longer appears to be pursuing its photography venture across all markets.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/062596 ... 00-2000/12

One other thing which struck me about this summary is that all the top recommendations in this class are mirrorless cameras. Of the DSLRs only the Canon 7D II gets a look in as an "also consider". Is a corner being turned?
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 08:15

According to Thom Hogan, while Samsung has already announced withdrawal from markets in some counties, there are runours that it is shutting down its camera division entirely. The NX1 might be a good camera, but has anyone actually seen one?

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/wha ... camer.html
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:05

There could be some bargains here soon as retailers try to get rid of redundant stock. Another problem here could be lack of support by Samsung particularly with regards to firmware updates.

This was a system that I would like to have tried but with a lack of a system, even with those bargains, I probably won't be checking it out any time soon. :) :)
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 10:31

When I looked on Camerapricebuster, only three dealers were shown as selling the NX1 body with the cheapest price being £1,144. At best there are probably only a few dozen units in the country, so even if there is an attractive sell-off price to dispose of inventory you would need to be quick and buy everything you are likely to need in one go.

Some of the camera's features only work with certain lenses of which there are only around three, I believe, and all look quite pricey. Samsung has released a number of firmware updates which addressed most, if not all, of the issues identified at launch so it is unlikely there is much more to be squeezed out of the hardware. At current prices, even a fairly modest system with two or three lenses to cover most bases would be well to the north of £3k.

davidb wrote:This was a system that I would like to have tried but with a lack of a system, even with those bargains, I probably won't be checking it out any time soon. :) :)

I am guessing that will be the viewpoint of most people.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 25 Nov 2015, 17:51

I was in Park Cameras, which is one of the few stockists in the UK, earlier today and saw a Samsung NX1. That was not the reason for my visit as I was helping my daughter choose a new camera, but the subject of Samsung's future did come up in the conversation. According to the salesman, Samsung is withdrawing only from retail, not the camera market, and plans to sell directly to professionals. He said that he is a NX1 user and claimed that he is being sent a pre-release 300 f/2.8 next month to try out for his video work. He also said that there is a suggestion that the company is planning to bring out a full frame camera to take on Canon, Nikon and Sony.

I am not certain what to make of all that and, if true, it raises as many questions as it answers, but time will tell.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 26 Nov 2015, 08:40

Mike Farley wrote:One other thing which struck me about this summary is that all the top recommendations in this class are mirrorless cameras. Of the DSLRs only the Canon 7D II gets a look in as an "also consider". Is a corner being turned?

DPReview has now published its roundup of high end interchangeable lens cameras and to my surprise a mirrorless camera came top in that category as well, despite a number of very capable DSLRs being available. Let's hear it for the Sony A7R II which excels at most things apart, ultimately, from the demands of sports photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/483097 ... as-2000/14
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 27 Nov 2015, 08:08

Samsung confirms to Amateur Photographer that it is withdrawing from the UK camera market.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/la ... n-uk-66286

Despite what the salesman at Park Cameras said, "the decision to phase out the sales and marketing of these products" sounds final to me.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 03 Dec 2015, 08:21

Another twist in the story. Amateur Photographer is speculating that Nikon might have purchased Samsung's NX technology. If true, the implication is that Nikon is making a positive move to a mirrorless system based on a larger sensor than the 1" one in the Nikon 1 cameras. A combination of the functions found in both sets of cameras would be intriguing and could give Canon something to think about.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/la ... logy-66583
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”