Bulk Mountboard Purchase

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Bulk Mountboard Purchase

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 11 Dec 2014, 18:48

With the entry date for our annual exhibition approaching, this is the time of year when we usually do a combined order of Wessex Pictures own brand Low Cost Standard Mountboard, which is the cheapest we have found. Each sheet is A0 in size, sufficient to cut four 50cmx 40Cm mounts. Many members have been using this board for a number of years, myself included, and it is of good quality. A while back I was informed that it is actually manufactured by one of the well known companies, although my source would not say which.

Threr is a range of 15 colours, although the ones most commonly used by members are White, which goes well with monochrome images, and Antique White for colour. Most of the colours have smooth surfaces, although there is a Textured Antique White board which some like.

http://www.wessexpictures.com/product1588.html

Prices start at £3-18 (£2-65+VAT) per sheet and there are discounts for bulk orders in the same colour. 10+ work out at £3-12 (£2-60+VAT) each, 25+ are £3 (£2-50+VAT) and 50+ are £2-88 (£2-40+VAT). Clearly there are advantages in placing a joint order and keeping the number of colours ordered to the minimum to obtain the best possible price.

When I rang Wessex to get these prices, I also enquired about backing board and the cheapest is Nubord, which comes in two thicknesses, 2.3mm and 1.85mm. The thinner one works well for stiffening mounted prints and works out at £2-82 (£2-35+VAT) per sheet and drops to £2-68 (£2-23+VAT) when 50 or more are ordered. The equivalent prices for the 2.35mm board are £3.24 (£2.70+VAT) and £2.63 (£2.19+VAT). Bizarrely, the bulk prices for the thicker board are less expensive, although I would still recommend opting for the thinner one as it is easier to cut.

http://www.wessexpictures.com/NuBord.html

The aim is to get a minimum order of £90 (£75+VAT) in order to qualify for free delivery, which we have always been able to achieve in the past. The intention is to have the card available at the club's first meeting of 2015 on 7 January, which is a week before the exhibition entries have to be submitted. Assuming the card is delivered to me, it will also be possible to collect it from my house before then.

If you wish to participate, submit your request by responding to this thread stating the colour(s) you require and the amount of each. Responses should be made no later than Sunday, 21 December 2014.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidb

Re: Bulk Mountboard Purchase

Postby davidb » Thu 11 Dec 2014, 19:33

Mike

I would be interested in obtaining a SMALL quantity of the Wessex boards. I would need 3 x A0 (12 50x40) in white plus a similar quantity of the (thinner) backing boards.
ADDED 12 DEC: Brown masking tape 1inch; Double sided tape 1/2inch

As i don't have the facilities who will cut the A0 to size?

How is the backing board attached to the mount?

AMENDED - SEE LATER POST (16 Dec 14) :!:
Last edited by davidb on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 10:13, edited 3 times in total.
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 11 Dec 2014, 19:50

davidb wrote:As i don't have the facilities who will cut the A0 to size?

Wessex do not cut boards, so is anyone able to help David out?

davidb wrote:
How is the backing board attached to the mount?

Double sided tape works well. I'll get some prices from Wessex.
Regards

Mike Farley
Ronald Barker

Postby Ronald Barker » Fri 12 Dec 2014, 09:58

Hi Mike
I would like 5 antique white, 3 textured antique white and if black is being ordered 3. I am flexible so if you need to order just white etc. I can change my order just let me know.

David I cut mine down to size with a sharp Stanley knife.

Ron
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Fri 12 Dec 2014, 16:52

As promised, here are the prices for tape which is useful when mounting prints.

Brown masking tape:

• 1" - £1-86 (£1-55+VAT)
  • 1.5" - £2-82 (£2-35+VAT)
  • 2" - £3-72 (£3-10+VAT)
This tape is useful for making a hinge when attaching a backing board. 1" is a bit narrow if it is running the length of the mount, but 1.5" does the job just fine. Alternatively, use the narrower tape and make two hinges at either end of the mount.

http://www.wessexpictures.com/product576.html

Double sided tape:

• 1/4" - £3-24 (£2.70+VAT)
  • 1/2" - £4-62 (£3-85+VAT)
This allows a backing board to be stuck to its mount. I have found that the two boards can separate when using the 1/4" tape, so I am thinking about trying the 1/2" one to see if it is any more effective.

http://www.wessexpictures.com/product584.html
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Fri 12 Dec 2014, 19:41

David I cut mine down to size with a sharp Stanley knife.

I have no problem cutting card - just the A0 size. The largest table I have is a craft/small collapsible table which is barely A2 in size and won't support an A0 sheet.
Regards

David A Beard.
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 15 Dec 2014, 14:25

What's the generally accepted orientation of the mounts?

Are they 50W x 40H (landscape) or 40W x 50H (portrait) or is it photographers choice?
Regards

David A Beard.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 15 Dec 2014, 15:07

The standard size is 50 x 40, which is what most external organisations such as SLF or SPA stipulate for entry of mounted prints into their competitions. The club's rules for internal competitions do not specify any particular size, although members are encouraged to adhere to the standard. Should anyone deviate from this criterion and the club wishes to use their image in an external contest, it would be necessary either to remount the print or to trim an over large mount to size.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 15 Dec 2014, 15:12

As an addendum to my previous post, I omitted to mention the rules for the club's exhibition where submitted prints will be displayed in in 50 x 40 frames. In this instance, it is obviously only possible to have a standard sized mount.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidb

Postby davidb » Mon 15 Dec 2014, 15:16

Thanks Mike but you didn't answer the question.

Should the photographs be mounted on a PORTRAIT (i.e. 40w x 50h) or LANDSCAPE (i.e. 50w x 40h) orientated mount?
Regards

David A Beard.

Return to “General”