Whale Watching

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Mike Farley

Re: Whale Watching

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 14 Jan 2014, 12:27

Tina wrote:Yesterday we went up to London and visited the new Park Cameras outlet just off Oxford Street. Not as good as Burgess Hill and I wasn't convinced the assistant we spoke to was as experienced as I needed at that time.

That was my experience as well went I went up there just before Xmas. Friendly staff who tried to be helpful, but unknowledgable. I could not help but make a less than favourable comparison with Jessops. I do not know how much training was given beforehand, but it clearly was not sufficient. There are a lot of other camera stores in the area, so they could end up struggling.

As an alternative to buying a lens for your current camera, another option could be the Panasonic G5 with the 45 - 200 lens, which can be bought for under £500. The m4/3 system has a 2x crop factor, so the lens is equivalent to 90 - 400 on full frame and I have found it to be a reasonable performer. It will be much lighter and smaller than your Canon kit to boot. There is a 100 - 300 lens (200 - 600 equivalent) as well, but it is more expensive and I have not found that it performs very well at focal lengths in excess of 225 or so. It definitely needs some form of support at the long end to get the best out of it as the IS is not very effective at extreme magnifications.

http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/cameras/comp ... -body.html

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-pana ... _source=aw

If you want to pop over at some point, I have a Panasonic system you can try out, as well as a Canon 300 f/4 with 1.4 extender, which will give you something of an idea of focal lengths on your camera, as well as the likely bulk and weight.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 18 Jan 2014, 10:26

When I was at The Societies Convention trade show yesterday and Park Cameras were selling the 100-400 lens for £1,149, which is £50 cheaper than the next lowest price I can find. If you are interested in the lens, it could be worthwhile asking Park Cameras if they are prepared to match the show price if you are unable to get along (entry requires a pass for which pre-registration was necessary). The event runs until tomorrow (Sunday 19 January) at the Hilton Metropole Hotel in Edgeware Road.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:05

I can recommend these guys, absolutely top notch

https://www.onestop-digital.com/index.p ... t_id=33293
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 18 Jan 2014, 13:23

davidc wrote:I can recommend these guys, absolutely top notch

https://www.onestop-digital.com/index.p ... t_id=33293

An attractive price, for sure, but the company is based in Hong Kong where the lens would have to be returned if any problems occur under warranty.

In the UK, I see from the latest issue of AP that Mifsuds is offering an ex demo copy of the Canon 200-400 for "only" £9,999. This lens just gets cheaper all the time. ;)

Alternatively, you could buy a brand new small car, the 100-400 and still have plenty of change from that £10k.
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Sat 18 Jan 2014, 16:00

L lenses have international warranties though, don't they? I know friends who've bought lenses in various locations worldwide and provided they kept the proof of purchase, had them serviced under warranty in the UK.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 00:15

davidc wrote:L lenses have international warranties though, don't they? I know friends who've bought lenses in various locations worldwide and provided they kept the proof of purchase, had them serviced under warranty in the UK.

I based my response on the FAQs which said goods only had a HK warranty and had to be returned there in the event of problems. If Canon is happy to repair these lenses, and as pro spec models I agree that they should, and someone is prepared to purchase from a foreign dealer, then it looks like a good deal.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 19 Jan 2014, 07:47

One further thought, I presume that the optional extended warranty will be HK based for the second and third years, with Canon only being responsible for the first.
Regards

Mike Farley
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 20 Jan 2014, 17:44

This recently published test comparing some of the contenders might be timely if no purchasing (or hire?) decision has yet been made.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/01 ... m-shootout
Regards

Mike Farley
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 09:10

I saw that review also and it's giving me serious pause for thought - definitely considering one of these over the aged 100-400 now!
The problem may arise in where to find it to buy abroad but http://www.digitalrev.com/ is suggesting they will have it for sale.

600mm on my 550D will be fun to see too :)
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 21 Jan 2014, 11:04

davidc wrote:I saw that review also and it's giving me serious pause for thought - definitely considering one of these over the aged 100-400 now!
The problem may arise in where to find it to buy abroad but http://www.digitalrev.com/ is suggesting they will have it for sale.

600mm on my 550D will be fun to see too :)

Presumably it will also become available in this country. I know that it might be possible to save money on a grey import, but some will prefer the transaction to be with a UK dealer.
Regards

Mike Farley

Return to “General”