Selling your work

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
walterconquy

Re: Selling your work

Postby walterconquy » Thu 25 Oct 2012, 13:15

I have been selling my pictures sometimes successfully sometimes not at Art Fairs. These last two years not. I don't think I sell them too expensively but in times like these most people are looking to buy cheaply. Personally I think once you set a price you have to keep to it. Especially if someone you have sold one to can view the prices you have changed to. Marketing wise its not very wise. Of course its quite alright to put your prices up. If you do Fairs you pay a lump sum to usually from £200 to £500 for an area 6-8ft wide 8ft high and 3ft deep, if you are lucky. So you don't want to give away too many pictures before you start making money. I did a fair earlier this month, there was a chap who was selling his pictures at £40 an A3 image on an 40x50cm mount, and at £300 a stall
you can see he had to sell 8 pictures before he started making any money at all. It was a shame because they were very good quality. But it ruined it for me because people must have thought I was cheating them. As someone was saying even people like Ansel Adams and Edward Weston had to do commissioned work or run seminars or take portraits to make a living. Good luck to whoever wants to do this, it is hard.
davidc

Postby davidc » Fri 26 Oct 2012, 13:45

Rose wrote:I've also sold a couple of images on RedBubble, where purchasers have the option to print and buy a variety of products according to parameters you set yourself.

What's your username on RedBubble Rose?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 19 Nov 2012, 10:49

Saki (H H Munro) was a well known Edwardian writer whose witty observations satirised the times in which he lived. This short story was published in 1914, yet it remains as true today as it was back then. It is worth taking a few minutes to read.

http://haytom.us/showarticle.php?id=81
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Rose

Postby Rose » Mon 19 Nov 2012, 11:50

davidc wrote:
Rose wrote:I've also sold a couple of images on RedBubble, where purchasers have the option to print and buy a variety of products according to parameters you set yourself.

What's your username on RedBubble Rose?

It's redrose... I haven't updated my page there for quite some time though.
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 12 Feb 2013, 07:50

Well I'm now officially semi-pro... :)

Not quite. But I did make my first sale last night, one of my shots of little people playing golf in the kitchen sink. Sadly it was only 36p and I can't even claim the money til it hits £13 but hey... It counts!
My Top 50 album is here
Rose

Postby Rose » Tue 12 Feb 2013, 13:13

LOL well done David :) Where did you sell it ? Was it a stock agency ?
Rose
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 12 Feb 2013, 14:05

Redbubble. Which is frustrating because it's a sale and I technically get nothing for it, quite frustrating.

I'm tempted to register with stock agencies and I track Getty daily but they always want stuff that's outside my experience and, normally, ability to shoot for.
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 12 Feb 2013, 15:12

On the positive side, at least someone has thought enough of the image to pay good money for it. I presume that the lion's share of the cash goes to Red Bubble. No doubt unclaimed commission is all part of the Red Bubble business plan.

What is your id on the site?
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”