Prince George

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Rose

Prince George

Postby Rose » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23759337

Hmmm... can't help wondering what a camera club judge would make of these ? LOL ;) Anyone care to suggest a potential critique ? (with all due respect of course...)

Rose
Rose
Mike Farley

Re: Prince George

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:51

Terry Neill is quoted on the BBC website as saying that he thinks the pictures are "absolutely charming". Give that man a knighthood!

It fits in with the informal style which the Cambridges have adopted and they are the sort of photos which would be taken by a proud grandparent. I can't help wonder about the muted colours, though. It looks to me as though the camera exposed for the background and left the subjects under exposed, exactly the sort of mistake someone without any real knowledge of photography would make. Unlike them, however, most people do not have access to someone with the appropriate Photoshop skills to retrieve the situation.

All that said, these pictures will be far more widely distributed and viewed than anything any of us are ever likely to take. :cry:
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 13:32

It looked to me like they were exposed for the foreground and the background was badly overexposed? There's some nice backlighting on her hair but otherwise looks like he's used a point and shoot to take them.

So more in the family snap category than official photographer, or at least that's what I'd assumed when I saw them.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 18:17

Heh just watched the BBC who have now confirmed they aren't official, they're just the first not taken by the paparazzi :)
Probably explains why technically they aren't brilliant.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Tue 20 Aug 2013, 18:37

davidc wrote:It looked to me like they were exposed for the foreground and the background was badly overexposed? There's some nice backlighting on her hair but otherwise looks like he's used a point and shoot to take them.

So more in the family snap category than official photographer, or at least that's what I'd assumed when I saw them.

I cannot find anything about the camera used, but had assumed it was a P & S. Tonight's Evening Standard also mentioned a Smartphone!

During my brief research, I did come up with this critique where the author shares my view that the pictures were underexposed and had to be salvaged afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if no one looked seriously at the images when they were taken and it was only afterwards when a flunkie saw them did anyone realise that a rescue job was necessary. Presumably Michael Middleton is not planning on givibg up his day job in favour of photography anytime soon. ;)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-ne ... es-5755733
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”