ACR default 240ppi change

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
leonm

ACR default 240ppi change

Postby leonm » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 19:45

Hi There,

I'm using ACR ver:7.1.0.354 which defaults to transferring images at 240ppi to PSE, rather than the 300ppi if the image was open directly in PS.

The preference dialog box which is accessible from the top does not allow me to set any ppi setting. Can any one help please? I've attached the dialog box I get access to, which is on the center of the partially blank pdf page.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Matthew
Attachments
ACR-prefs1.pdf
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
davidc

Re: ACR default 240ppi change

Postby davidc » Wed 03 Jul 2013, 23:13

I'm not sure what version my ACR is but I think it's probably earlier than yours so this is probably still at least partially appropriate.

I click on the link at the bottom of each raw image -

pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 3438 times

Then set the standard settings I want applied to all raw files

pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (45.39 KiB) Viewed 3438 times

Does this help?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Thu 04 Jul 2013, 10:15

Dave

I'm guessing that the screenshots you have shown here are from a version of Photoshop CS, rather than Photoshop Elements which Matthew is using. An assumption based on one of your screenshots showing the option to open the image as a Smart Object, which PSE does not support.

I have been looking at this with my copy of PSE 9, which might or might not be the same version as Matthew's, but is unlikely to be much different and I can see the same issue he describes.

So far as I can tell, PSE simply defaults to 240 DPI when opening Raw files. There is an option in the image editor preferences to set the default DPI for new documents, but ACR blithely ignores this. For a while, Adobe has been simplifying Elements, presumably to make life easier for those users who do not always understand the complexities of image processing. I am certain the function was there in PSE 6, another casualty being the ability to use printer profiles when printing, which also vanished somewhere between versions 6 and 9. Know what you are doing and want more options? Hey, just spend a chunk of your monthly disposable income on Photoshop CC instead. :(

The question is, does this matter? I have long considered the DPI setting to be more documentary rather than having any real effect. It is simply telling the output device how large the image should be displayed. It is irrelevant for monitors, which default to their native resolution (usually 72 DPI) when showing images full size. It does have a bearing on the size of prints where there is a direct correlation with DPI. A lower DPI reduces resolution, but allows a large print to be made and vice versa for higher DPIs.

Here, Adobe has been clever and in the PSE print dialogue it is possible to set both the print size and DPI, the latter being independent of the DPI setting for the image. What happens if the two are not the same? I don't know for certain, but I suspect that Adobe resizes the image in the background, most probably using bicubic interpolation which works well. You could do the same manually using the Image Resize function but why bother when it can be done automatically? Mind you, why print in PSE at all when Lightroom has the same options to set image size and DPI independently and so much more when printing? Not only that, but It has better Raw conversion and comprehensive library management to boot.

Sometimes, such as when submitting images to magazines for example, there is a requirement for a specific DPI and for this PSE still has the option to change the DPI setting. Adobe is actually providing everything which is needed, but in a way which is different to more conventional methods.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
leonm

Postby leonm » Sun 07 Jul 2013, 14:42

Hi Mike,

You hit the nail right on its head as I did suspect prior to submitting the query.

Please let me share, that this is the UK and there are plenty burdens which suck up the supposedly disposable income. :lol:

I've always been encouraged to send jpegs off for printing at a minimum of 150dpi(ppi) to ensure good quality. The issue came to light when I wish to create a print at 16"x20" from my raw image. Cropping at 8"x10" in ACR @ 240ppi would give me a print resolution of 120dpi on a print 16"x20". So in my vague wisdom, I cropped it at 16"x20" and got the default 240ppi; but have I push my limits from the image when its original full size was stated to be 13.5"x20.5"?

On screen @ 100% the image looks fine, but I'm yet to make the actual print, will do next week and keep you posted.

Thanks Mike, and to Dave as well for your prompt responses.

Regards,

Matthew
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sun 07 Jul 2013, 20:35

Hi Matthew

150 DPI might be a bit on the low side for printing. A few years ago Roy King did some experimentation and, from memory, found that it was possible to drop to around 170 - 180 DPI and still maintain quality in the printed image.

With the Resize function in Elements, it is possible adjust the image size either as a physical size, e.g. in centimetres or inches, or by the number of pixels. Similarly, it is also possible to specify the pixel density. Epson, for example, recommends printing at 360 DPI for optimum quality, although I have often printed at different settings without any obvious adverse affect.

It all depends if the Resample Image box has been checked. If not, the image will be resized according to either the settings for Resolution or the Width and Height in the Document size box. Changing any of the parameters will cause the other two to be adjusted accordingly as the Constrain Proportions check box is set automatically.

If the Resample Image box has been checked, the number of pixels in the image can also be changed using a process known as interpolation. If the image is being made bigger, extra pixels are added and it is usually best to use the Bicubic Smoother option. If the image is being reduced, pixels are taken away and Bicubic Sharper normally gives the best results. It is feasible to double the number of pixels in an image without any noticeable detioration in quality. Setting the Constrain Proportion and Scale Styles check boxes is optional, but would normally be left on.

Setting the Image Size will be required if printing is being undertaken commercially and companies often specify the required pixel density. If printing at home, then the image size and pixel density can be set in the print dialogue.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)

Return to “General”