Selling your work

General discussion and anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
davidc

Selling your work

Postby davidc » Fri 14 Sep 2012, 11:39

Although I don't think I have many (any?) images of sufficient quality to sell to the public yet, having a means of even partly funding this often-expensive hobby would be very nice indeed. I'm not sure where to start though.

I've considered setting up my own website to showcase and offer my work, and I've heard some people have had success selling their work at weekends in central London. Has anyone had success (or constructive failure) at doing this? Has anyone sold anything of the back of the annual PHOTO exhibition for example? How do you decide where to pitch the prices for your images for example?

Quite an open ended question I admit but any tips for what to do, or not to do, would definitely be helpful.
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Rose

Re: Selling your work

Postby Rose » Sun 16 Sep 2012, 18:56

I've had two exhibitions hosted by Bromley Arts Council where I've successfully sold images. Pricing is tricky - too much and people won't buy. Too little and you are undervaluing your work. The first time I set 3 price levels according to the size of the images. Subsequently I was advised that you should price according to how you value the image, so I did this the second time. I've also sold a couple of images on RedBubble, where purchasers have the option to print and buy a variety of products according to parameters you set yourself.
Rose
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 22 Sep 2012, 19:48

I am unable to answer many of your questions directly, but I do have some thoughts.

Recently I read an article by Brooks Jensen who is co-owner of LensWork, which is based in the US and publishes fine art photography both online and in magazine form. In 2006 via his Brook Jensen Arts website (http://www.brooksjensenarts.com), he was content to sell 8 x 10 prints for $20 (plus postage and packaging) on the basis that it was better to sell in quantity than occasional prints at much higher prices. The website is still there, but does not appear to be active at present, so perhaps even this "pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap" policy did not work. By our standards, Brooks Jensen is well known on account of LensWork, which makes it all the more discouraging.

Jensen did make the point that it is very hard to make a living purely from fine art photography and most practitioners also undertake commercial work, run courses and anything else they can do to pay the bills. Despite his fame, even Ansel Adams was financially insecure for most of his life and was often a jobbing photographer. He sold his last prints in 1975 at about $500 apiece, which is roughly $2000 at today's prices. More than once, I have photographers who knew Adams lamenting that they could have bought an original of Moonrise, Henandez printed by the master himself for $500. Now look what they go for - http://www.afterimagegallery.com/featureadams.htm. Of course, some things have changed since then and nowadays there is greater acceptance of photography as an artistic medium, although that has helped encourage others to enter the market and, at best, keep the supply and demand equation the same.

That's the bad news, but there are a number of options, some of which you have already touched on.

• Create a website
  • Sell at art markets
  • Hold an exhibition
  • Give talks, not just to camera clubs, but other organisations to promote your photography. Both are selling opportunities.
  • Publish a book using one of the print on demand services
  • Use social media as a promotional tool
  • Write a blog and update it regularly

Apart from direct to the public sales, which will always be tricky for an unknown photographer, other methods include.

• Picture libraries
  • Selling to magazines, both consumer and in house
  • Enter competitions - success gets you both free kit and recognition
  • Shoot weddings - if you are brave enough!
  • Teach photography

Work hard enough at it and you might reach these dizzy heights - http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/nov/12/worlds-most-expensive-photographs-in-pictures - although I am not certain how many photographers actually received these prices for their work. I suspect in many instances the images were being resold by a previous owner.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Sat 22 Sep 2012, 23:34

As a follow up to my previous post, the Freelance Photographer's Market Handbook (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freelance-Photographers-Market-Handbook-2013/dp/090729765X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348352461&sr=8-1) provides a lot of information about selling photographs into various markets in the UK.

This link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freelance-Photographers-Market-Handbook-2012/dp/0907297633/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348352461&sr=8-2 is to the 2012 edition which has the feedback previous purchasers have left on Amazon, giving an idea of how relevant others have found this publication. The first lnk is to the 2013 edition, which is being published shortly.

It might also be worthwhile investigating the BFP, the organisation which compiles the handbook. http://www.thebfp.com/

None of this is a recommendation, as I have no personal experience of either the handbooks or the BFP, but is an indication of potential sources of information which might prove to be worthwhile.
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Simon Clarkson

Postby Simon Clarkson » Mon 15 Oct 2012, 21:17

Picture framers are great for selling your work if your happy to take 40% on the chin.

I'am about to give some work to a Croydon framer who is also going to host my images on their website but I have to pay a hefty old share..

I have sold several images in the last few weeks to friends who like my work. I intend to kick off my photography business soon where hopefully I'll get work and sell images. :D

I'am fortunate that I have been asked to do children's portrait's and was recently asked to do school photographs. For me its very much word of mouth and favours that have got me going... I just dont have the time at the moment... :(

If anyone is looking for a Photographic assistant I'd kindly offer my time in return for experience... :roll:

Kind Regards

Simon
imagesliveon
davidc

Postby davidc » Mon 15 Oct 2012, 22:00

How did you know where to set the price of your images, particularly to friends?
My Top 50 album is here
Simon Clarkson

Postby Simon Clarkson » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 00:18

I got my pricing for single image say a 12x18 enlargement from several picture framers who warned me not to under sell my work. The prints I have sold to friends go for £40 the same as it would a stranger. Family and close friends would be different. Linda (Fish Frames) in Shirley gave me a ball park figure for an image I had framed, £275 (framed) but she would have taken her share plus VAT.. Unfortunately as you may know she's now travelling the world so I never did it.. That picture has pride of place in my living Room..

I've been told so many times by artists and pro photog's not to under sell work (including family) as its hard to work your way up when you become more popular...

Just my way of thinking!

Kind Regards
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 09:25

Very interesting indeed :) £40 was the ballpark I was thinking of for an A4 print, going up for an A3. This would be printed & mounted but not framed. £275 for a framed image seems like one hell of a jump though!
My Top 50 album is here
Simon Clarkson

Postby Simon Clarkson » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 14:24

davidc wrote:Very interesting indeed :) £40 was the ballpark I was thinking of for an A4 print, going up for an A3. This would be printed & mounted but not framed. £275 for a framed image seems like one hell of a jump though!

It is a big jump, but with the frame nearly costing £100 and sellers cut 40% and the fact its the complete finished package so to speak Its not that bad.. Also advised to start at that price so if someone knocks you down your still making reasonable money. Like already mentioned, folk wont buy art or a photo if its cheap! ;)

Regards
Simon
davidc

Postby davidc » Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:18

Fair point :)
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “General”