Cutlery

A forum where members can post their favourite image taken each month. (This forum was originally created for a set of monthly challenges to which the earlier posts relate.)
Sarahrs

Cutlery

Postby Sarahrs » Wed 07 Nov 2018, 22:25

November online challenge is Cutlery. It is a great opportunity to experiment and apply the workshop on still life.

Cutlery: an everyday object, and some say the pinnacle of civilization. Show us something new and different.

Inspiration: One of the most famous pictures of Cutlery is called, The Fork, or La Fourchette, by  André Kertész, 1928. For a view on what makes it great, see this blog post: https://medium.com/@AGGriffith/focus-on ... 9394dd73d9

Kertesz_The_Fork.jpg
Kertesz_The_Fork.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 6798 times

How: Some ideas to explore is the use of shadows, number of objects in the pictures, or potentially focusing on the details.
For some hints and tips on how to take pictures of Cutlery, please this link with some great hints and tips: https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... y-cutlery/
Sarahrs

Re: Cutlery

Postby Sarahrs » Mon 19 Nov 2018, 23:21

I'm breaking the rules. I ended up at the oldest surviving Surgical theatre in London (after getting the wrong bus). And I spotted these, amputation knives.

Imageknives by Sarah Shakespeare, on Flickr
Laura

Postby Laura » Tue 20 Nov 2018, 08:50

How lovely, Sarah! :o
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Mon 10 Dec 2018, 22:19

I had an idea to combine the cutlery challenge with the parks one I never managed to do.

So a few weeks ago I spent a lunchtime over at Park Hill trying to get something, but the light was poor and I didn't come away with any shots I was happy with.

I was intending to go back and try again, but since that hasn't happened I figured I would at least post a couple of the attempts - if anyone else wants to give it a try (or use the idea in another setting) then go ahead - would be nice to see it done successfully. :)

20181123-145146_P1020066.jpg
20181123-145146_P1020066.jpg (198.6 KiB) Viewed 6635 times

20181123-145337_P1020073.jpg
20181123-145337_P1020073.jpg (215.72 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
Laura

Postby Laura » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 07:49

Peter Boughton wrote:I had an idea to combine the cutlery challenge with the parks one I never managed to do.

So a few weeks ago I spent a lunchtime over at Park Hill trying to get something, but the light was poor and I didn't come away with any shots I was happy with.

I was intending to go back and try again, but since that hasn't happened I figured I would at least post a couple of the attempts - if anyone else wants to give it a try (or use the idea in another setting) then go ahead - would be nice to see it done successfully. :)

20181123-145146_P1020066.jpg

20181123-145337_P1020073.jpg

What didnt workfor you Peter? I like this!
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Tue 11 Dec 2018, 21:57

Ohhh, I like. I especially like the first picture; see the world in teaspoon. Points on out the box thinking.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 08:15

I will second (or should that be third?) Laura's and Sarah's comments, Peter. I can understand why you were not entirely happy with your first attempt, but these shots demonstrate an originality which is often lacking in club photography. But then, you always have shown that you are willing to try something different. I also appreciate your generosity in sharing the idea while you are still experimenting. A spoon might just become an essential compositional accessory. Do not leave home without one!
Regards

Mike Farley
(Visit my website and blog - www.mikefarley.net)
Peter Boughton

Postby Peter Boughton » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 19:06

Thanks all. :)

Laura wrote:What didnt workfor you Peter?

A couple of things were bugging me, the softness/lack of detail and the specific scene/composition - I wanted more than just a single tree, but it was muddy and too many people around in the wrong places.

The first image isn't as bad as I had thought, but I didn't realise at the time and that's the only shot I have like that.
The second one might have worked better had I rotated the spoon 90 degrees - again, hindsight etc.

I was using my compact, but definitely needs a greater depth of field and dynamic range, so next time I'll use my SLR.
I was also shooting partly hand-held, will have to work out a suitable method of holding things in the right place, but that's easier with an SLR too.
Laura

Postby Laura » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 20:09

Peter Boughton wrote:Thanks all. :)

Laura wrote:What didnt workfor you Peter?

A couple of things were bugging me, the softness/lack of detail and the specific scene/composition - I wanted more than just a single tree, but it was muddy and too many people around in the wrong places.

The first image isn't as bad as I had thought, but I didn't realise at the time and that's the only shot I have like that.
The second one might have worked better had I rotated the spoon 90 degrees - again, hindsight etc.

I was using my compact, but definitely needs a greater depth of field and dynamic range, so next time I'll use my SLR.
I was also shooting partly hand-held, will have to work out a suitable method of holding things in the right place, but that's easier with an SLR too.

I like the softness, which I felt complemented the type of reflective material. But I also see the potential in being able to single out a tree, or even a person. You dont think shallow DOf is best for this? Maybe as it is experimental, we/you should try and do both versions sometime!

:-)

It really is great that you shared the results, especially as you did not have many takes. Did you say were you took the pics and I miss that detail Peter?
Laura

Postby Laura » Wed 12 Dec 2018, 20:16

I see the images were taken in Park Hill, I dont think I know where that might be - but I guess it doesn't matter !!

Return to “Photo of the Month”