Change your genre

A set of 12 photographic challenges with a mix of genres and more individual topics.

Moderator: Sarahrs

Sarahrs

Re: Change your genre

Postby Sarahrs » Sun 03 Feb 2019, 00:12

Challenge complete. One Otter. Many thanks to Bett for a lovely day out to Barnes Wetland Centre

[url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2ds2sgo]Image[/url]DSCF5254 by Sarah Shakespeare, on Flickr[/url]
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Sun 03 Feb 2019, 21:13

So the second aspect of the challenge for me , was accessing and using a lens suitable for wildlife photography. So I rented the Fuji 100-400 lens. I was worried about whether I would like it. As I tried the f2 50-140 lens in the summer and hated it with a passion, big, bulky, heavy and not benefit for the weight. Seemed to ruin the whole point of a the Fuji CSC system. Yes, I know it a professional lens (but really, no!).

But I picked up the 100-400 lens and the weight and bulk had a purpose and it wasn't as ugly as the other lens. I learnt from Bett and got a proper shoulder strap to support the lens. Figured out the basics easy enough; but did make a few rookie errors, like putting on the 5m limiter. And not putting the Aperture high enough to ensure the pictures were sharp enough. Will definitely use the lens again, but not sure I would use it enough to purchase it. So I think renting is the future unless I see a bargain.
Mike Farley

Postby Mike Farley » Mon 04 Feb 2019, 08:25

Hi Sarah

I know what you mean about the Fuji 50-140 lens. It is a lump, especially when used on one of the smaller Fuji bodies. Then again, the full frame equivalent is 70 - 200 and it has a constant f/2.8 aperture. To put it into perspective, It is roughly the same size and weight as my Canon 70 - 200 L f/4. The results it achieves are sublime and I am happy to shoot mine wide open when necessary. It does not always make it into my bag, though, if I want to travel light.

An alternative is the 55-200 which is more compact and less expensive than either of its bigger siblings in the Fuji range. It does not have the reach of the 100-400, but is slightly faster at f/3.5-4.8. I have heard good reports of it and a friend is pleased with his. Unless you have a specific requirement for a long lens, It might be the compromise you are looking for and encompass most situations.

If you think the 50-140 is a huge and heavy lens, try the Fuji 200 f/2. That really is a monster. I have seen it at a couple of shows and on both occasions been happy to put it down after a few minutes. By rights, it ought to come bundled with a sherpa. ;)

I would be interested to know which shoulder strap Belt recommends.
Regards

Mike Farley

Check out my website and latest blog post: http://www.mikefarley.net
Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Mon 04 Feb 2019, 13:28

I used a shoulder strap from Joby. Did the business.
SteveBudd

Postby SteveBudd » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 17:11

Sarahrs wrote:Steve, looking forward to the pictures.

Hi Sarah.

Had my first soiree into street photography yesterday at Kelsey Park. No traumas and very enjoyable all told. I'll be wandering around The Barbican, Covent Garden and Pimlico in the not too distant, so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the back end of the pantomime horse...

In the mean time, to establish some street photography credentials, here's ''A walk in the park' - Ricoh GRII.

I saw the potential in the shot as the woman came round the corner walking towards me.
What I wasn’t immediately aware of was the Canada Goose coming up from my left. It’s timing was impeccable and created a shot that’d be unlikely to be repeated in this way.
It obviously works first and foremost on the basis of humour but if I go all metaphysical, it represents industrialised humanity and the natural world travelling on opposite trajectories.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153623926@N08/40099250833/in/dateposted-ff/

Then there's 'Feed the birds', different from 'A walk in the park', that involved no interaction or dialogue with the woman in the shot. 'Feed the birds' was different - I just asked if I could shoot a few frames; they gave me the nod and just went back to chatting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153623926@N08/40108915683/in/dateposted-ff/

I've been delving back into monochrome more and more of late and loving it.

TTFN

Steve
Last edited by SteveBudd on Sat 16 Feb 2019, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Daddy needs to express some rage...

Sarahrs

Postby Sarahrs » Tue 12 Feb 2019, 23:04

Ohh! The feeding the birds one is really clever. But also that the Geese taking itself for a walk.
SteveBudd

Postby SteveBudd » Sat 16 Feb 2019, 17:35

Sarahrs wrote:Ohh! The feeding the birds one is really clever. But also that the Geese taking itself for a walk.

Cheers Sarah - much appreciated. :)

TTFN

Steve
Daddy needs to express some rage...

Return to “Photo Challenge”