Rim lighting test shot

For guides on how to do something, explanations on how particular results are achieved, etc.
Paul Heester

Rim lighting test shot

Postby Paul Heester » Fri 22 Apr 2016, 21:47

Thought I would share with you a shot I took this evening whilst playing around with rim lighting.

It was a quick setup, from grabbing my equipment to taking a few shots was less than 10 minutes. Camera was on tripod set to manual @ F10 1/200s and ISO100. Speedlight was on a light stand an arms length away and behind me (this bit is essential) and set to 1/8 power. Cheap radio triggers used to fire flash off camera. Then it was a case of striking a pose with camera on timer. This was purely to get an idea for how its done. Subject matter is the important bit here. I could imagine a musician playing their instrument, portraits with hats, implied nudes or maybe someone's breath in cold air would suit this technique well.

As far as post processing is concerned I used the shadow clipping warning (which turns all black areas into blue) to confirm I had complete black where it was needed and just cropped in closer to remove the flash itself which was in the frame and converted to mono with slight dodging on my eyeball to bring it out more.

Any questions then please ask :)

IMG_1892.jpg
IMG_1892.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
davidc

Re: Rim lighting test shot

Postby davidc » Thu 14 Jul 2016, 09:53

Did you use any modifiers on the flash?
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here
Paul Heester

Postby Paul Heester » Wed 03 Aug 2016, 12:53

No modifiers used, suspect it wouldnt be as effective if your light source is larger??
davidc

Postby davidc » Wed 10 Aug 2016, 11:15

It might be softer, which may or may not improve it I guess. Depends on how you want it to look :)
Check out my website - davidcandlish.photography
My Top 50 album is here

Return to “Techniques & Tutorials”